The last B-29 in the world still flying!

B

Black Sheep 1

I had a chance to attend (for a short while) the Memorial Day Weekend celebration at the American Airpower Museum on Long Island, NY yesterday.

Amongst the various aircraft in attendance was "Fifi", the last flying B-29 in the world.
She is starting to show her age.
It was kind of rough trying to get good angles to shoot as the crowds were kind of "crowdy" and the setup for the aircraft was kind of not "photofriendly" as they had most of the aircraft barricaded away from the public and facing away.

About the only aircraft that were accessible were the B-29, B17 and B-25 (only because they were charging people to board the aircraft and take a peek in the cockpits).

Anyway, here are some images of Fifi.

_MG_3187.jpg

_MG_3189.jpg

_MG_3190.jpg

_MG_3191.jpg

_MG_3193.jpg

_MG_3194.jpg

_MG_3195.jpg

_MG_3196.jpg

_MG_3197.jpg

_MG_3199.jpg

_MG_3410.jpg

_MG_3411.jpg

Well there it is.
I'm sorry I couldn't take any shots of the take off as it was on a runway on the far side and was not visible from where I was.
And I couldn't wait around for her return as I had to leave for another commitment I had.

These won't win any awards but I hope someone will benefit from them as reference for a build.
Pay close attention to the fuselage shots and the engine shots and the difference in panel lines.

Thanks for these. We've got one at the Hill Field Museum, but, sadly, she's not flyable.

Cool! She is a beaut isn't she.

My son and I saw her in AZ @ a month ago. I got some video on my laptop I may have to post.

Did you get to hear her flyover? Those 4 P&W's are loud. I can't imagine 60 or a 100 of them all at once! ;D

i have never had the privlage of seeing a B-29 in action, then again i have never had the privelage to see A P-51 in person either :(

nice pictures despite the non photo friendly set up.

13aceofspades13 said:
then again i have never had the privelage to see A P-51 in person either :(

You mean one like this one?
_MG_3406.jpg

_MG_3230.jpg

_MG_3428.jpg
;D

13aceofspades13 said:

Thank you. I appreciate that.
:)

Thanks for sharing.
Never had the pleasure to see the B-29 fly but had a chance to see Enola Gay being restored at the Smithsonion storage facility back in 1994. Got to stick my into the bomb bay. They were working on restoration. The fuselage was in pieces and the engines were being worked on in another part of the facility, which I got to see later.
Again thanks for sharing

Black Sheep 1 said:
13aceofspades13 said:
then again i have never had the privelage to see A P-51 in person either :(

You mean one like this one?
_MG_3406.jpg

_MG_3230.jpg

_MG_3428.jpg
;D

13aceofspades13 said:

Thank you. I appreciate that.
:)

:p //drools.........

you lucky sun of a gun, that sure is a beautiful mustang, once again, good pictures.

Latest posts

Back