the "I hate my old builds" syndrome?

MrNatural

my head is falling off my head
I've always been into art, drawing, painting, sculpting...I have always had this problem of throwing away my art that I'm not happy with, I can easily tare up a sketch i've been working on for hours because I just simply hate it. I consider model building an art form and every finished model a piece of art. I was just looking at my collection of finished builds and feeling like chucking some of them. Noticing seam lines and bad paint jobs that I used to think were good, now that my skills have progressed, some of those old models are just eyesores to me now. Anyone else ever feel like this? I did actually throw away some of my first really bad builds and it felt sooo good. Maybe im just jaded or something...

I have done that before. It feels good to throw old things away you are not happy with. It feels like you are starting with a clean slate. But,...you can always reuse those old model kits. They can be torn apart, the paint can be stripped and you can start over. It saves money too. ;) If you look in the auto section, I have an older build that I am transforming at the moment. Would have been a waste to start with a new kit.

Sometimes it is hard to reuse a kit because it won't come apart, the windows are ruined etc. You still can use some of the parts for your parts box. They may come in handy.

nope. ;D

I still have many of my models from the mid/late seventies. All Tamiya WWII, all brush painted. They are all pretty rough in the paint and weathering department but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them. They show me where I was and how far I've come.

Have to agree with Ken. I've got all my builds on the same shelf. Some I'm really proud off and a few are real shockers. The thing is I can look at them all and chart my own progress, the bad ones are a good reminder of what I've learnt.
I have a number of guitars which I haven't played for some time, when I told a musician friend of mine that I was thinking of selling some due to lack of space, He offered to store them for me until I got te bug to start playing again. Wise words, I took his advice and still have them and glad that I didn't off load them. Remember it's about the journey, not the destination.

If you really can't stand to look at them you could always try to rebuild them, give them away, or try to sell them.

Ken Abrams said:
nope. ;D

I still have many of my models from the mid/late seventies. All Tamiya WWII, all brush painted. They are all pretty rough in the paint and weathering department but I just can't bring myself to get rid of them. They show me where I was and how far I've come.

rookie said:
Have to agree with Ken. I've got all my builds on the same shelf. Some I'm really proud off and a few are real shockers. The thing is I can look at them all and chart my own progress, the bad ones are a good reminder of what I've learnt.
I have a number of guitars which I haven't played for some time, when I told a musician friend of mine that I was thinking of selling some due to lack of space, He offered to store them for me until I got te bug to start playing again. Wise words, I took his advice and still have them and glad that I didn't off load them. Remember it's about the journey, not the destination.

I totally agree with Ken and Rookie. I like seeing the progression. I find it rewarding to see that I'm not static as a builder (in terms of skills or subject interest). I'm still proud of those builds, and put right beside the newer stuff on the shelf - I know I'll build something better in the future, and that's the lure to continue building.

Jason

I think this is really common with a lot of creativity, namely because you're getting better with every hour spent doing it, plus a hint of artistic self-criticism. We all have little bits here and there which we're not happy with, and these are glaringly obvious to ourselves, even if not to anyone else. The nature of artistic endeavour is ever onward, ever improving and I think when you're completely and totally happy with your work then you've either given up, or it's the day you die... whichever is worse. :eek:

Wow! I was not expecting so many great responses to this topic. thanks guys!

Ken Abrams said:
nope. ;D

I completely agree, its important to be able to chart your progress, and I too dont have the heart to throw them out. The ones I did get rid of were just total junkers that I couldn't stand to look at anymore. Probably just my OCD creeping its way into my modeling world ;)

noname said:
I have done that before. It feels good to throw old things away you are not happy with. It feels like you are starting with a clean slate. But,...you can always reuse those old model kits. They can be torn apart, the paint can be stripped and you can start over. It saves money too. ;) If you look in the auto section, I have an older build that I am transforming at the moment. Would have been a waste to start with a new kit.

Sometimes it is hard to reuse a kit because it won't come apart, the windows are ruined etc. You still can use some of the parts for your parts box. They may come in handy.

I did rescue some of the parts, then I had a good smashing ;D

I like to smash them, under my foot. Brings me great satisfaction. If I spend too much time looking back I just might get into a head-on collision.

I have alot of my old builds as well. Most of them are packed away in boxes, and with multiple moves lots of parts have fell off. But they are always good for spare parts for other projects, as well it is kinda cool to see where your building has progressed with new techniques added and such.

Of course there are a few that have met their demise at the end of a BB gun, or better yet an M80.

Blew up an Airwolf kit with an M80 with a bunch of dud firecrackers packed in around it for good measure. Definitely wasn't much left of it when it went off, we did go back the next day on a SAR mission to see if there was any wreckage left! LOL

Haven't tossed any old kits recently, but I've been definitely looking back at some of my slightly older builds and thinking about refurbishing them

If you are going to trash it or smash it, just give it to a kid. They go WOW, and the hobby marches on with new addicts.
For the record, I'm with Ken. I have builds from my very start, and I think they're still OK. And like the range in my experinces from past to present. It also reminds me more than once to use the good old tricks over the newest and latest greatest technique. When I'm doing something I'm not happy with, it goes to a kid. Period. 'Hey kid, here have a model. These are the instructions and you'll need to buy a tube of glue to finish it, plus some paints if you want it different colors.' That's how easy it is. They get an interest in this non Lego/Pine Car Derby construction project and our hobby might get a new member. If it's the kits destruction your after, the kid'll finish it off for you one way or another.

Scott Girvan said:
I like to smash them, under my foot. Brings me great satisfaction. If I spend too much time looking back I just might get into a head-on collision.

Wow that's brutal, :D. Not sure if I could bring myself to do that!

Latest posts

Back