The Fine Molds Slave-1: My entry for the 2012 SMA Spring Contest

I actually had to skip out of work today to make some progress on this dirty bastard. I started working on the undercarriage and got the wingy things mounted on the bottom. I may have some tonight to begin the weathering on the outer hull.
Not as heavy as on my Millennium Falcon, but still dirty enough to look like it's been a while since it's been cleaned between space battles and chases..
Anyway..I got a song wanna hear it?It Go like this...
2012-05-09180326.jpg
2012-05-09180344.jpg
2012-05-09180411.jpg
2012-05-09180428.jpg
2012-05-09180451.jpg
2012-05-09180500.jpg
2012-05-09180509.jpg

Moment of facetious truth here..
I entered this contest simply because BadGrendels mentioned that there weren't very many entries in the sci-fi category....so I signed up.
Suddenly the category explodes with some awesome competition faster than Charlie Sheen's new coke dealer's text message log in a two hour span
I have never scored higher than an honorable mention in any contest that I have ever entered locally. So, in this contest I've felt like the small worm on the very large hook in a contest with some of the best in the world. I am also willing to hire Jeff Gillooly to clumsily start going after some shin bones to gain any advantage possible in this contest.
Watch out for tall chubby guys dressed like ninjas to swing and miss.
I'm not saying I agree with what Tonya Harding did...but I understand.

Tiger blood.

LOL! Great update, Samurai. That engine glow looks fab. Sharp work! Loving the detail on this beaty. :)

Greetings, fellow addicts
You know it's a problem when you have to skip out of work for two days during the week to be able squeeze out some time to work on my entry.
Anyway, I'm about to hit the home stretch with this build and let this one fly out about it's merry way for this contest.
2012-05-10212730.jpg
2012-05-10212712.jpg
I think the battery is running low already in the pack hence the dull engine glow.. I didn't bother to light the upper engine trench..but I think this one is going to sit on it's end like in ESB on the shelf.
2012-05-10212628.jpg
I also got a fine grime wash on the main hull.
2012-05-11232924.jpg
2012-05-11232847.jpg
2012-05-11232756.jpg
2012-05-11232746.jpg
2012-05-11232730.jpg
2012-05-11232715.jpg

Looks amazing, you have great skill, I am building the AMT version as my first step back into modelling, the fit & bad molding aside i actually like the kit. do you have any pointers regarding paints.

ModelMakerMike said:
Yeah.... it almost makes me want to throw my entry in the garbage can.... :(

LOL..That's what I've been thinking every time I look at every build in this competition. There's a long list of legit competitors in this category and it is tough to stand out in this crowd.

Your paint work is amazing man. Big credit for the lighting too, it looks phenomenal. :)

7165jay07 said:
Looks amazing, you have great skill, I am building the AMT version as my first step back into modelling, the fit & bad molding aside i actually like the kit. do you have any pointers regarding paints.

Thanks.
If you're asking for tips on colors, I can only suggest certain colors..if they are correct colors,,that's a different story. But for this one, I basically started with a mix of Pale Pastel Green, Silver and Metal Medium all Vallejo colors. For the second color I used Pale Pastel Green and a drop of GunMetal Blue for the contrast.

I am at the point where I'm either going to finish this or add one more embellishment that will totally kill the look of the whole thing. The goal is to finish this one without too much more painting. I have a couple more pics to share tonight, mostly of the cockpit with a tiny Boba Fett seated, I still have to add a dark wash to the figure, but I think he's almost done and ready to be glued in.
I got a couple of the decals on, but not before the family cat destroyed the decal sheet over night. The cat also managed to step on my PE set for the Enterprise-E in an uncanny way to insure that she bent out some of the grills for the nacelles...but anyway.
She's not a ghost cat.....yet, but she's getting there.

2012-05-13202521.jpg
2012-05-13202615.jpg
2012-05-13202554.jpg

Cockpit is looking awesome and Boba looking cool as usual. I know I keep saying it, but I really like all the lighting you've done.

This totally blows me away. I can't even fathom the amount of effort that went into this. The finished product is better than I could have possibly imagined. I just can't get over the light placements! World class!

R1bb1t said:
This totally blows me away. I can't even fathom the amount of effort that went into this. The finished product is better than I could have possibly imagined. I just can't get over the light placements! World class!

Hey there!
Good to see you made and you really have to check out everyone else's work. Good to have you on board here with the other addicts.

Wow, what a great Slave I. I think the weathering and lights are just fantastic. You definitely do great work, but you outdid yourself this time!

Latest posts

Back