The Fine Molds Slave-1: My entry for the 2012 SMA Spring Contest

My Entry for the 2012 SMA Contest will be the Fine Molds Slave-1.
I think this will be the perfect book end piece for my Millennium Falcon.
IMG_20120406_095425.jpg
And one more pic to clarify that I have not begun anything on this kit.
IMG_20120406_095454.jpg

Very awesome. I love the slave I. will be tuning in to this one for sure.

These Sci-fi builds are getting really interesting! Great stuff, Samurai. Looking forward to this one.

WOW..There is a ton of traffic on this contest forum.

I have an OOB review on my subject for this contest, but you know..I'm getting a little gun shy.
I noticed Jaitea is working on the same kit, and even though he's doing the Jango version, I still kind of feel like we're two women who showed up to the party in the same dress.

Anyway, I worked on the AMT version of the Slave-1 about a year and a half ago and this was the result. It wasn't very accurate as far as the model and even the colors I chose for this kit, but hey, I'm starting to get a little notorious for my purposely skewed choice in colors. Here are those results...

DCFN0003.jpg
DCFN0001.jpg
DCFN0002.jpg
DCFN0007.jpg
DCFN0011.jpg
DCFN0009.jpg

I want to wish everyone luck in their contest endeavors and have fun out there. Now, on to the Fine Molds kit..

Super paint job on that AMT kit. I enjoy seeing a bit of artistic license as much as I enjoy seeing screen accurate builds.

The lighting is also very impressive. I can see what looks like fibre optics in those side fins! Impressive dude!

Don't worry about it being the same kit, I'm out of practice with painting & judging by your excellent work on the AMT kit, you've got nothing to worry about.

Are you going to light this one?

J

What he said!

You have good painting skills, and the fine molds kit should just flow together. Have no fear, you will do fine!

You know..I watched The Empire Strikes Back and I'm going to watch it again in a minute..not for any reason in particular, but because it's still best damn movie in history.

Gone with the Wind..Never seen it, don't have to.

Oh and and there's the Slave-1 too..I actually don't see any exterior lighting on the model in the movie, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to go ahead and do it..I kinda liked what I did with the other one..Totally inaccurate to the movie, but I may do something similar. Just not so glossy this time around..
I'm going to get around to priming the parts and drilling my holes for the lighting after watching ESB one more time for good measure..

Exterior lighting sounds fun...like a couple of spotlights or something? You know, this thing was designed as a police interceptor. That's the cue I'm going with for my forthcoming build...

Nope..no spotlights or flood lights, that would make it a diorama. I'm planning on adding some accent lights to the model itself.
I understand that it wouldn't be "screen accurate" but that's not my goal at all. I know that opens a Pandora's Box of inflamed accuracy hounds who will take time out of their day to remind me of this, but they never concern me. It will probably get me laughed out of this contest, but again..that doesn't concern me at all.

And a quick progress report, I've just primed it out and have drilled out some of the holes in the cockpit for fiber optics and have a couple of holes drilled out along the hull for some of the landing lights. I probably won't be lighting up the engines on this one since it will be sitting as it was on the platform in Cloud City...complete with the Boba Fett and frozen Han figures.

ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
I understand that it wouldn't be "screen accurate" but that's not my goal at all. I know that opens a Pandora's Box of inflamed accuracy hounds who will take time out of their day to remind me of this, but they never concern me. It will probably get me laughed out of this contest, but again..that doesn't concern me at all.
Not on this forum mate, maybe on some others but not at SMA. It's all about fun here, fill your boots and add Helicoptoper blades on the front for all we care! Just enjoy yourself, cant wait for some pics, good luck!
MJ

Well, I say that facetiously here. It's never happened here on this forum where it has been all about the fun of the hobby. But to answer, Nicholas, I'm just sticking to accent lights all along the outer hull.
I'm running low on the thick fiber optic strand I had here, so everything may just be tiny and barely noticeable.
I don't know about the helicopter blade, MJ..but it will defintely have some skateboard wheels on the bottom.

Latest posts

Back