Tanks in Normandy

Junkie

Yo.

So for those of you that followed some of the Spitfire down build so far you know that I have a 1/48 horse, farmer and wagon. I have decided not to use that in the Spitfire build.

Instead I'd like to (eventually) build a diorama of a convoy of tanks, 2 or 3 driving through the countryside with the farmer out doing his thing, and stopped, watching awestruck as the tanks roll by.

So I ask: where could this have taken place? I'd like to model Allies on the move so it would be in an occupied country. Not sure if I just want to have a few Shermans flying by, but something like that.

All you history buffs...let 'er rip. Thanks.

It would be cool. Thing is I want to use the horses and stuff I bought....

Maybe I should just model a hayfield - no military stuff. Would be a fun little terrain project.

The villers bocage, the battles immediately after the Normandy invasion.

Search Operation cobra, Normandy

Operation Market Garden. Holland

Operation Varsity, Germany

Operation Dragoon, France

As for tanks, you are probably pretty safe with shermans, although you convert some Canadian Kagaroon APC in to your convoy, I don't know if there are any 1.48 universal (bren and Lloyd ) carriers. You couold just do a truck for that matter (search the "redball express" )

Operation Husky, Sicily

How about the liberation of the Netherlands by the Canadians....could have a few CDN Shermies floatin by with the farmer looking on.

Scott Girvan said:
It would be cool. Thing is I want to use the horses and stuff I bought....

Maybe I should just model a hayfield - no military stuff. Would be a fun little terrain project.

I think you're just obsessed with hayfields but I have a feeling you're going to lead toward completing that corn field (real corn). LOL

This would make a fun little vignette:

RedBallExpress.jpg

Anyone know that there are?:

Redball_Chevys_500_199.jpg

Would there have been tanks too?

Scott Girvan said:
Anyone know that there are?:

Say again?

Scott Girvan said:
Would there have been tanks too?

Tanks on the redball? I don't think so, it would probably have slowed down the supply trucks. The redball express existed for like three months and was basically an 'express lane highway' if you will, to get much needed supplies to the front lines quickly.

I think you can model a couple of tanks rolling through a field with a farmer, his wagon and horses looking on with no worries at all. I'm sure that happened a time or two in the entire ETO and who says it has to be in a hostile situation, near the front lines, or during any fighting at all. Perhaps it's in a more safe and sound part of the country where the Allied presence is overwhelming and these tanks are just making there way forward.

My two cents anyway...

Thanks. ETO? European Theater of Operations? Eat Those Onions?

I meant: Anyone know what these are?

Most likely it is a mixture of REO, Dodge and studebaker trucks, which were all built to the same pattern more or less. Incidentally the Russian Katusha rocket launchers were ALL mounted on lend lease trucks, usually Studebaker trucks, if you have trouble finding models of one.

Edit: Although this is a Russian site for lend lease, it is a good over view of what would have been in the European Theater as well. http://www.o5m6.de/ForeignTrucks.html

I think the REO and Studebaker trucks had squared off fenders while the Dodge and GMC had the rounded sweeping fenders like those in the picture but yeah, those mentioned were all used.

Maybe a 7 ton stake body trailer hooked up there in that picture? Not really sure when it comes to soft skins without consulting the tech manuals and stuff.

Untitled-8.jpg

Scott Girvan said:
Thanks. ETO? European Theater of Operations?

This^^

Scott? What are you planning? A Canuck dio or yanks or Briton......? Stay away from the Red Ball express.... If you want Tanks in it! Only fuel and goods were on those RBE roads.... I would go for a 1/48th or 72nd scale... And pick your sherman tanks carfully ! The Canucks had specific Mk. So, lots of planning ahead of you. Should look pretty cool though!

Latest posts

Back