Tamiya Primer And Tamiya laquior

alerae

im currentily working on a model plane and i was wondering if the Tamiya primer works will and is even nessisary when using the Tamiya Laquior for the final coat? any advice will help, thank you

Can't speak for if the primer's quality because I don't use it, myself.
But, the main purpose of primer is to give the paint something to "bite" into as it goes onto the surface

Tamiya primer is probably one of the best modeling primers on the market (right after Vallejo) ;D

You will have no problem putting Tamiya Lacquers over it, just make sure it is cured first before you do.

If you decide to use primer..just go ahead and use the Vallejo.Tamiya primer is getting extremely hard to find right now..and if you do find some,you will pay a premium for it.

Is there a resolution to the Tamiya "issue" anywhere in sight in the not too distant future?

I'm finally back into the hobby after many years, don't own an airbrush and don't plan on getting one anytime soon - so I'm stuck with brushes and spray cans. Started using Testors enamel primer because that's what was readily available for me... but I'm really not overly thrilled with it. I would love to use the Tamiya fine spray primer that everyone seems to rave about all the time, but obviously that seems to be a very tough task lately.

So is there a source (preferrably in the US) that has some Tamiya spray primer, maybe hiding on a back shelf somewhere that hasn't sold yet and is still available? I see a couple of sources exporting the stuff from overseas, but I'd obviously prefer to get it a little quicker than 4-5 weeks from now if possible.

Or... is the Vallejo primer in a spray can as good as Tamiya? And anybody have any leads on where to get any of that? Seems I'm having a little trouble finding that as well.

I've used the fine Tamiya grey primer, the Vallejo grey spray can primer and the Vallejo black acrylic-polyurethane primer. The Tamiya is really good primer, but I like the Vallejo Black primer shot with an airbrush the best so far.

JMac

Nothing on Tamiya products....last word was sometime in June it would start to trickle back into the US and Canada, but so far nothing.

I used to use the Tamiya Fine Grey and White primer in the can, but since Vallejo has released their primers, I have moved on to theirs.....more control and less waste in the airbrush, and is as good or better than the Tamiya primer.

if your using a Tamiya Laquer you don't need to use a Tamiya Primer spray, a friend who specialize in planes told me, Tamiya TS or AS also sticks well to the plastic especially when cured, cost efficient. I only use spray primer when I using acrylics or enamels.

@Crow
since you don't have an airbrush or buying anytime soon... you can also buy an automotive primer spraycan, you can try it first on spare sprue, gradual spraying works.

just my 2 cents.

While you don't need a primer when using the Tamiya spray cans, it is recommended, and will give you a better finish in the end, especially if you have any dissimilar parts (IE, plastic, resin, metal, photoetch, etc), as it will give you an even coat over those items to start your color coats from, as well will give a more durable surface for your color coats to stick to. Compare it to GM, Ford, Chrysler, etc. when they paint a real car....it always has a primer coat.

As well if you have alot of putty work, the primer will even out the surface from your plastic to putty, something using just paint won't do. I always recommend to my customers to use a primer, not because it means more sales, but because the final product will look that much better, and the customer is happier that way.

Tamiya primer is almost completely absent now in the US. I even tried to order more from LuckyModel Hong Kong, and I received an email stating that it's "dangerous material" and they couldn't ship it to me in the US. Even though they did about two months back. I guess the other paints were fine to send, just not the Primary.

IMO, nothing beats Tamiya primer. It is really really fine straight out of the spray can. It's really amazing stuff. Vallejo is what i'm going with now too. It's good, but it takes longer to dry and I have little patience. haha

Latest posts

Back