Tamiya paint question (XF-17 & XF-8)

Edbert

So my kit says to use "AS-19", but I've not used a spray-can on a model since I hit puberty in the 1970s!

I purchased (I am 100% new to using "acrylics") two bottles, one each of XF-17 and XF-8.

The 17 looks super-dark in the bottle, and the 8 looks way too bright, to my uneducated eyes.

Is there a formula for mixing these? It might need some white or light tan, maybe even something to remove a bit of green, that I think I see.

Do any of you know a way to make XF-17 more appropriate for a WWII Corsair? Or is the Tamiya XF-17 correct out of the bottle? I have noticed, in my 1-hour of experience with acrylic model paint (LOL) that the final color dried much lighter than when wet.

Am I thinking XF-17 is too dark because I'm a noob and overreacting?

Edit: the Corsair I am building is an F4U-1. Not the "birdcage" or the A/B/C, this is the 1943 version which I think (zero expertise) was a bit lighter and flatter than late WWII or Korean versions.

Last edited:
Out of the jar, XF-18 is closer to the blue-grey in the US Navy's early WWII camo scheme, and close to AS-12, too. I use AS-12 for that color, too.
XF-17 is a little darker than either AS-12 or XF-18. But looks like you've got a handle on it.
It depends on whether you worry more about exact colors, FS numbers, and the like. Personally, I go by the Mk 1 eyeball and whether it looks right to me or not. I look at the colors as starting points, anyway, which will get weathered and that changes the look a little, too. Olive drab, same thing-so many different shades, so many variables-I just look for as many photo references as I can, and then go from there.

Personally, I go by the Mk 1 eyeball and whether it looks right to me or not. I look at the colors as starting points, anyway, which will get weathered and that changes the look a little, too.
Thanks for the reinforcement! The last time I put effort into modeling I was into Luftwaffe aircraft just for their paintjobs. I've heard more arguments about which RLM# was perfect than I ever want to hear, and that was 25+ years ago.

I decided to do just that, make my own, I started with about 7:2 ratio of XF-17 and XF-8, mainly the bright blue to knock down some of the gray I saw in the 17. It was still dark (to my guess), so I added some XF-2 (without measuring) with a tiny amount of XF-55, I was afraid to add anything that might turn green. In this picture it is kind of hard to see, but my concoction is not that far from the original 17, just lighter and brighter.
1716585725168.png

Then I ginned up some courage and went to spray, my 1st ever aircraft with acrylics! I spray really thin (learned the hard way with mineral spirits), and I know that with an essentially B&W canvas the final color will be decided by thickness of application.

Here's what I came up with. There's actually a little spray of straight XF-17 on top in a few spots to just make it feel grimy. Be kind, I'm learning to use acrylic paint (dries superfast, is super-flat and super-fragile, plus the apparent color changes in front of your eyes) while planning on attempting chipping for the first time, which is why I am learning acrylics (you can probably tell my brain cells are long gone).

1716586232565.png

Edit to add...those scratches on the cowl and vert-stab are not accidents, at least I meant to scratch it, if it looks overdone, then THAT is an accident.

I reserve the right to trash this thing with my chipping, but I can wash the acrylic off with alcohol and start over, I got a couple of coats of enamel under that mess baby! ;-)

Last edited:
AS-19 is Intermediate Blue (FS35164) Therefore, you want to use XF-18 Medium Blue.

Other paint brand to use:

Humbrol 144
Gunze 56
Testors 1720 (enamel), 4744 (Model Master acrylic… if you have any on hand)
AK Interactive Real Color 11341

Latest posts

Back