Tamiya 1/48 P-51D Mustang Tuskegee Airmen

Osquitz

Hi guys !! after a couple of weeks staring at this model i decided that i was going to give it a shot at building it, i have been working a couple of days, so far i have the cockpit painted and the interior fuselage also painted.
After seeing the p51's on the forum i noticed that my colors are way off.... and since i don't have much experience in mixing or correcting color according to scale... I'm asking for advice ;) ;)
please let me know what you guys think, all comments welcome ;D thanks for stopping by.

PC070513.jpg
PC070514.jpg
PC070520.jpg
PC070521.jpg

Tough to tell with the lighting in the photo but it seems about right?

Just a side note-- Model Master Guards Red seems to be the best match for the red tail when you get there ;)

Nice choice Osquitiz :) ,tempted to bring out the ZM P51 after the Stuka :)

Colour looks about right to me ,I normally use Humbrol interior Green 226 its a pretty good match too . If you need to do the wheel wells in Zinc Chromate ,you can use a straight yellow and mix in a tiny touch of green just to knock the brightness of the yellow ;) It should be a kind of 'Lemon' shade .

Chris.

Looks good to me, I built this kit for the BSC and I had a blast with it! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Once she's closed up you see very little of the green. Looks good to me. If you need some inspiration check out John Simmons build thread.

The mustang sure was a sexy thing, I would love to build a couple more.

Keep up the good work :)

Jeeves said:
Tough to tell with the lighting in the photo but it seems about right?

Just a side note-- Model Master Guards Red seems to be the best match for the red tail when you get there ;)

thanks for the heads up Jeeves, Chris!!, i guess ill have to stop by the hobby shop and get some more goodies :D :D

John, Rookie, ill be sure to check that out !!, and ill be requesting more advice from all of you guys as i go along with this :D :D

ill try and get some more work during the weekend and post something more by monday ;)
have fun guys!

Great start Osquitz. The Tamiya kit is a good one - I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I'm planning to start building a Tamiya P-51 shortly after the start of the New Year. I'll be following your build.

J

Hi Osquitz, I’m told that it’s an excellent kit, I haven’t opened mine yet… ;D your build is looking good so far, keep up the good work. Pierre 8)

hi guys !! long time since i posted some progress here....
well, i have made a lot of progress with the mustang, all i have to do left is some weathering and a final coat of satin lacquer to seal it up.
This is a awesome kit to build, i had absolutely no problems with seams or parts not fitting correctly, so if anyone is looking to build one of this i would definitely recommend it :D :D

well of to the pictures :)

PC110530_zps8c043c57.jpg
PC110528_zps39bea782.jpg
PC110529_zpsb14ae191.jpg

After sealing the body, i gave it a coat of primer and afterwards, some preshading.... (I'm sorry i forgot to take some pictures of that)

PC180545_zps259616c9.jpg
PC180548_zpsf7107874.jpg
PC180549_zps1e67a665.jpg
PC180552_zpsa5e64af9.jpg
PC180557_zpsfeae3518.jpg
PC180558_zps36d7e11d.jpg

Then i masked everything up and (this is where i messed up ) preshaded the tail again....
PC260571_zps52880432.jpg
so after i made this mess... the red i painted after did not match the red in the decal sheets....

PC260572_zps4a3ff49f.jpg
PC260573_zpsc0d00866.jpg

The decals where a bit tricky in some places..
PC280611_zps063e89f0.jpg
PC280612_zps3cc6cba2.jpg
P1050759_zps60739482.jpg
P1050760_zpsb69492fe.jpg

I hope you guys like it, on my part i had a blast building it and managed to learn a bit more, im off to give it a shot at light weathering with pastels and see how that turns out.
let me know what you guys think.
have fun !!

I thinks it's easy to fall for this version especially if you just caught Red Tails on cable. Love your work here, you can really get inspired with a Mustang build.

thank you guys for the kind words and for all the advice you always give to me ;D ;D
now i'm off to weather a bit, and then i have my secret Santa build and a couple of shelf queens that i want to repaint and finish once and for all

Latest posts

Back