Tamiya 1/48 Avro Lancaster

rookie

This is not a toy
Got given this kit from a good old mate of mine for my 40th birthday ( Thanks Scooter ). Its been the crowning glory of my meager kit stash for a few months so I thought it was about time to make a start on it.

2012-09-22102330_zps57e3003b.jpg

I've got a vauge plan in my head to display this diorama style at an arifield, with one of the engine cowlings off and a mechanic working from a ladder. I bought an ICM spitfire kit with this in mind.. as it has a cool set of figures ( dog included ) and ladders etc. As it turns out was pleasantly suprised with the look of the spitfire an awesomely detailed little kit , and got the whole thing for under $20 AUD. Anyway I digress... I am also thinking including the Tamiya 1/48 Tilley staff car/utlilty.

Ambitious YES! Will it ever see the light of day ? hmmm definate maybe ;D I would venture to say that I wouldnt be the first scale modelor to let his enthusiasm to get the better of him.

So on to the kit, this thing is HUGE, from waht I've read an older kit that still goes together nicely. It will be my first foray into raised panel lines. The level of detail is pretty good throughout. Some sprue shots..

Main fuselage

2012-09-22102436_zpsc68d5a84.jpg

Quite nicely detailed , may even try my hand at scratching some more detail on the interior

2012-09-22102455_zps2c477624.jpg

Nicely weighted wheels

2012-09-22102737_zps1bb20dee.jpg

Alot of glass, The Eduard masks are a sound investement
2012-09-22102911_zpsd9c69a9c.jpg

2012-09-22103000_zpsdc61118a.jpg

They are some big ass wings....

2012-09-22103034_zpsa9b7fbf1.jpg

Picked up this book form the local library the a couple of weeks ago, which realy was the kick i needed to get started on this. Fantastic reference material and features some pics of the aircraft on the box art, which I think I will be building ( oneday I will build something that is NOT the box art ) ;D
The kit has options for 4 different variants

2012-09-22103307_zps967aac64.jpg

I will get some progress shots up tomorrow.

Thanks for looking :)

Very cool! I built the Grand Slam version a couple summers ago and really enjoyed it! If you can get the Eduuard interior color PE it really adds a whole new dimension to the interior...

:eek: OH BABY!!!! This has been on my wish list for soooooooo long!
Lots-o-build pics Please!!!!!!! ;D

Thats a big ole kit indeed !! Lots of work ahead ,but should be enjoyable build being Tamiya , Those little ICM kits are fantastic too ,I have gathered quite a few of them ;D ;D

Chris.

This kit's in my stash with the Big Ed set to accompany it. It's gonna be my next build for sure. However, I'd like to see the engine nacelle fit first and gauge whether it's worth it to invest in some aftermarket resin for these pieces. Hope you get there before I do! ;)

Good ideas for build, should be a weathering dream.. Good luck and I will follow with interest

Such a classic era.

Gav

Yes plenty of work ahead , just need to keep myself motivated.

Ordered some metal gun barrels and the Eduard PE instrument panels last night... looking foward to trying some different media, I've not tried aftermarket parts yet.

Necro- dont count on me getting to the engines before you do... had big plans for today but the weather was so nice had some friends over for a BBQ instead. Didnt get a chance to post the promised progress shots... rest assured the steak was nice though ;)

Rookie,

This is gonna be a great build mate

will be watching this one :)

cheer,

shane

rookie said:
Necro- dont count on me getting to the engines before you do... had big plans for today but the weather was so nice had some friends over for a BBQ instead. Didnt get a chance to post the promised progress shots... rest assured the steak was nice though ;)

That's OK, I'm a pretty slow builder. I don't expect to be breaking out this kit until early to mid October anyways.

Mmmm, steak... :p

Rookie, what a cool bomber...the big Lanc. Being a Tamiya kit, should be a Fun build...a regular open box,
squirt in some glue, shake box and...Boom! You got a "builds itself" kit. Have Fun building it. Bill

Super cool. :)

Not sure if you're interested, just wanted to give you a heads up; one of our members did a wicked build of this kit. Might be a good resource for you, when you decide to tackle it...

Here's the link to the finished build;
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/index.php/topic,645.msg4276.html#msg4276

Sorry I'm still looking for the build thread (I'm not sure I'll find it _ maybe someone else knows where to look)

Jason

Thanks Jason- Wow what a nice build, I'd be a happy camper if I could pull off something like that...

Time to get stuck back into this, I've cleared all my shelf queens so I'm going to crack on with the Lanc !

I preshaded and painted the interior some time ago and kinda stalled there.

I spent the day detail painting and attaching some of the PE.
3962606f39ac485224ad3e88e9e3804f.jpg
59a82e55cc2ff47aafca5a03bc78a12a.jpg
aa85fa9adccf6b221cbb3b7f076b42bd.jpg

The PE really makes a difference, thanks Jeeves :D

Curiously though the PE kit doesn't include dials for this radio box... Oh well I will make do with the Tamiya supplied decals.
cb3becbf909e5a18ba3918cf5ba2854c.jpg
86f585ce1e1fa0b97f47ad4be2389ba2.jpg
Still a fair bit of work to do on the interior, weathering , washes, chipping etc. probably not going to see most of it when it's closed....

Thanks for looking :)

Glad I could help...I don't usually buy PE for a kit unless I really believe it enhances things, but in this case as you can see, it really does!

very cool looking so far I just love the old war birds so meny areas to just add things to.

Small update, washed and weathered . Just about ready to close her up.

d0890fa934dfbdecf1e2fb32b05eade7_zps49286975.jpg

24f5ea51346542f91d629b6c549f4d84_zps5778aa99.jpg

Latest posts

Back