T-55AD Drozd

okb1982

Hello fellows,

This is a T-55 update that I made from a Tamiya base kit.
The update is mostly a scratched-built conversion into a T-55 AD Drozd (Thrush) active protection system.
Due to the rarity of walk-arounds, some aspects of this build are products of 'guesstimates'. :D
I did my own conversion for skill practice on scratching items from styrene materials. The main modifications were done on the turret part as shown on the 4 launchers, plumbing and the auxiliary power unit on the turret rear.
These launchers were made from plastic boards and wires.
Smoke mortars were also added together with the electrical wirings.
KTD-2 laser range finder were also added and mated on the gun mantlet.
The loader's hatch was also updated by using plastic putty and countless sandpapers.
For the hull, no major modifications were made as only the fuel plumbing and wirings were added.

Finish and weathering were done by Tamiya acrylic and enamel paints, Vallejo paints, AK Interactive and Mig Productions weathering mediums.

This tank is marked for the Soviet Naval Infantry units that primarily used this variant. What they did is to convert old T-55 units and upgrade its countermeasure packages instead of building a new tank. As far as I know, this tank did not see much action like in Afghanistan, Chechnya or on other major post-Soviet conflicts. I somehow read these did participate in a little way during the Sumgait Pogrom.

Anyway, here are the finished photos:

T-55AD-29.jpg

T-55AD-26.jpg

T-55AD-25.jpg

T-55AD-23.jpg

T-55AD-21.jpg

T-55AD-20.jpg

T-55AD-19.jpg

T-55AD-18.jpg

T-55AD-17.jpg

T-55AD-15.jpg

T-55AD-13.jpg

T-55AD-12.jpg

T-55AD-10.jpg

T-55AD-9.jpg

T-55AD-8.jpg

T-55AD-6.jpg

T-55AD-5.jpg

T-55AD-4.jpg

T-55AD-3.jpg

T-55AD-2.jpg

T-55AD-1.jpg

Before Pics: (All the items that were added/modified can be seen here.
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj191/gomz24/T-
55%20Drozd/rearfuelpipingsmadefromwiresandvinyltubes.jpg

KTDlaserrangefinder.jpg

frontfuelpipingsanddetailedbracketsforsparetracks.jpg

electricalwiringsweredrilledonthehullusingwires.jpg

commandershatchupgradedwithplasticrodsandstrips.jpg

allthenon-greenpartsareaftermarketmodificationsc.jpg

allthenon-greenpartsareaftermarketmodificationsb.jpg

allthenon-greenpartsareaftermarketmodificationsa.jpg

aftrightAPUandpowercablesandrearspotlight.jpg

aftleftAPUandpowercablesandrearspotlight.jpg

Enjoy!

RPGs fire away!

Iking

wow it looks amazing buddy love the extra detailing you've put into this build it certainly pays off...im looking to get a
t-55 for my stash so i will be using your for inspiration

Looks a great job, from my perspective the chains are very clean to dirty the low, not too bad I would fall a little dust, according to the sludge that you put, the other great work.

Thanks a lot Wyoroy, Ohm, Jose Luis, Geegad, Scott, Aaron, Mr T and Cash!

Yup Aaron, I will add some mud on this beast some time soon before the local invites kicks-in . :)thanks again man!

Geegad, feel free to reuse this for reference. I also have reference photos of actual tanks. drop me a note if you want it :)

cheers!

iking

Latest posts

Back