Swamp Rat VI

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi chaps :)

This was just a quick fun (almost) out of the box build . Threw together in about a week whilst working on a few other things (just a bit of light relief :) )
The Car is Don Garlits' Swamp Rat VI Drag car , This one ran during the 1964 series and was I believe the first car to hit the 200mph in that year ! , Don also took the same car to England ,where he broke the (at the time ) land speed record of 197mph .

The Kit is the very old AMT boxing , still a nice little kit but does need a lot of clean up ! . I also removed all the chrome except for the wheels ,and all the parts got shot with various Alloy / metal finish . I made up some plug leads for the engine ,using the kit distributor which I drilled out . The fuel lines & throttle linkage were also added ,but thats about all the extras added :)

The pics .........

DSCF1867.jpg

DSCF1868.jpg

DSCF1864.jpg

DSCF1869.jpg

DSCF1871.jpg

DSCF1866.jpg

Thanks for looking .

Chris. :)

Thats neat Chris. Engine looks good with the wash. You did a great job painting the belt. It doesn't have that molded in look. Cool stuff!

I've been wanting to get one of these old 60's rails for a while. I actually have the 22Jr. double dragster kit. But I'd like one of these mid 60's rails too. Of course being an old kit you have to expect ALOT of cleanup. :-\

Chris:

That build is just absolutely AWESOME!!!!!! This type of kit is right up my alley with race cars. Big Daddy was a gem in his era. Won everything possible to win ha ha. Super job on this build I'm totally diggen!!!!! I do have one question though. The belts in this kit ? R they stock out the box or aftermarket ???? Race car models are about all Ive ver built in my young stint in the hobby. I would like to find a aftermarket set of race belts like that OR did you build them yourself ? If you built them yourself what material did you use to build them ? Id love to add either the aftermarket race belts (5 point harness would work as well), or find a how to on building race belts or 5 point harness.

Thanks guys :) ,Like I say ,just a quick bit of fun ;D

Matt / Scott ....The belt is actually a black rubber belt ,not painted plastic ;)

Hooterville, Thanks man :) The belts on this one are actually molded in the seat ,a bit of careful painting brought them out :) However i usually make my own belts for the aircraft and car belts are not really that different . I use Tamiya tape for the belts and foil / wire for all the buckles etc :)

Chris.

I thought you added that belt but you forgot to mention it. ;) The belt on kits usually are rough where they join the pulleys. I clean them up with a sharp #11 blade, if not I make my own as well. So did you scratch the pulleys or use the kit pulleys?

Thanks John ;D

Anthony ,cheers mate , there isnt much to it so it goes together very quick :) ;)

Matt ;D ;D The belt is supplied in the kit ,but its a bit too long ,so I had to shorten and hid the join at the bottm of the crankshaft pulley :) ...the pulleys are also kit items .

Chris.

Oh, thats different. Never seen one of those before. They should do that more often. :D

Chris S said:
Hooterville, Thanks man :) The belts on this one are actually molded in the seat ,a bit of careful painting brought them out :) However i usually make my own belts for the aircraft and car belts are not really that different . I use Tamiya tape for the belts and foil / wire for all the buckles etc :)

Chris.

Thanks tons. Foil Wire, as in the material used to make the dryer vent hose now a days ? Not sure I totally know what you mean by Foil Wire. Perhaps a How to Video or private message would be a possibility ha ha ? Good work either way love the Big Daddy Don Garlits car. He was an Ace back in his day.

Hi Hooterville,

Sorry ,I maybe didnt word that correctly . What I mean is , I make the belts from Tamiya tape , I use foil to make covered clasps and use fine wire (electrical wire ) to make up the catches ,sometimes I will use spare etch parts too ,

Example ........

DSCF1517.jpg

Chris.

Latest posts

Back