Stalking The Hills. Afganistan dio

Solander said:
Brilliant paintjob and weathering on that base, buddy!
My jaw is on the floor! :eek:
;D

thanks very much solander, such comments help keep me motived and enjoy the build even more,

thanks very much mate :)

small update and id like hear your thoughts on this. Have an idea to add to element to this diorama which i feel that must be included as its becoming on those defining features of the conflict. Im thinking of adding an IED to the dio to address its widespread use in recent years over there. I made what i think an IED looks like out of scrap plastic and wire. Telll me what yee think

P1100818.jpg

P1100820.jpg

any thoughts are most welcome,

cheers,

shane.

its a good idea Shane and you can use just about anything to make an ied even shells and daisy chain them :) but with yours it straight to the point and people will get it

I had the opportunity to meet some folks from Navy eod last year and they said the majority of ied's in iraq and afganistan are made from surplus artillary shells. usually one or two strung together. They are detonated by cell phone mostly.

Spud, thanks for the input and advice, i think your rigth that the simple IED design works best as people will get it quicker than a complex multi-charge ring

Noc, thanks for sharing, watched a great documentary on Navy EOD a while back, and those lads know their stuff to be sure ;)

cheers

shane

Hey loglance67, I agree with the earlier post, the IED's expolosive are typically made of surplus shells. Then the fighters try and cover them up with anything from paper plates to plastic bags, anything that would fit in the environment. They try to hide them. Maybe it would be cool if you very sneakily put an IED in there, so subtle that if you don't look hard you wont even see it.

adam,

I think you and the lads havce a very good point, i was going for idea of the fighters figging up a bit plastic expolsives...which seems a little too modren for fighters who are low on high-tech kit. I think i have some old tamiya mortar rounds lying around from their weapons set. Might have a go wiring a pair of them up, which i must argee sounds much more realistic

thanks

shane.

lol shane your easy to sway :p but i agree the daisy chain idea or close to that will look cool

spud said:
lol shane your easy to sway :p but i agree the daisy chain idea or close to that will look cool

haha i can be stuborn enough too when i want to be :p

think ill keep it simply with a single device with mortar rounds wired toghter and hidden in the edge of the base and a command wire trailing off the base

spud,

cheers buddy, just have have find that Tami set lying somewhere in my stash :p

Hi all, back again,

been busy with college end of year exams :-\
but their all over now......which means back to the bench ! ;D

got a bit more work done scince i last see yee, but not alot mostly on the undercarriage

P1100938.jpg

P1100939.jpg

more updates to follow

cheers

shane

Looking good Shane!!! Getting that frame dirty ey? Keep it coming!!! ;D

looking good Shane, good to see you back at the bench and done with the exams

- T, You know me know, i like them dirty hahahaha lol

-Spud, ya its a great releive to have gotten the exams out of the way, and get back to the bench

Latest posts

Back