Some giant robots

Ravhin

Hello everyone.

After browsing around and checking the works posted in this forum I was kinda reluctant to show some of my stuff here, because honestly, I still have quite a ways to go. There are really stunning works here.

But if I don't show what I do then what's the purpose ? And if no one criticizes the learning will be slower as well.

Well, enough words, here they are:

img_1609.jpg

whiteglint-11.jpg

astray-blue-frame-second-l-1.jpg

Ravhin said:
Hello everyone.

After browsing around and checking the works posted in this forum I was kinda reluctant to show some of my stuff here, because honestly, I still have quite a ways to go. There are really stunning works here.

But if I don't show what I do then what's the purpose ? And if no one criticizes the learning will be slower as well.
Hey and welcome!
I know how you felt about showing your stuff, SMA was my first forum, but everyone is cool and supporting here. 'The goal is completion not perfection.'
Your work on these kits is excellent! Thanks for showing them.
Cheers!

There is nothing to be ashamed of...

Your skill seems to be a top notch : your kits are impeccables.

Something is missing though : pictures are great but why not giving a name, a scale, and a manufacturer to all those beautiful mechas ?
The first seems to be the Gundam, can'ts say if it's 1/144 HG or 1/100
The second is an Armored Core, White Glint, obviously 1/72 since they all are, in the Kotobukiya line, in that scale.
The third is a Astray Gundam, Blue Frame, the 1/100...

They are as beautiful as a MIB toy.
Maybe it would be cool to know how you build those mechas, with what kind of paint, varnish, spray can or whatever... :) Tell us more !

Awesome work Ravhin. They look really good.

You should be really proud of them. Do you have any more to show off?

@VoID_1 Thanks :) Unfortunately, I have nothing more to show, these are all I have ever built (well I have one more my first but that one is a train wreck :p). I have one other in progress that I will post the wip later on.

@YOULI you are right I should have identified them. don't know what I was thinking ::)

By order we have:

Bandai's 1/100 no grade Blitz

Kotobukiya's 1/72 White Glint

Bandai's 1/100 no grade Astray Blue Frame Second L

As for the building, the blitz was airbrushed using Gunze Mr hobby Color paints. I tried using pre shading for the first time here in the red parts, specially the vents. I also tried to make it glossy but I came out with some orange peel look :\ Polished the primer and then tried polishing the paint but it was too soft and the results weren't great.

The white Glint is actually not totally painted. I used it as a guinea pig for detailing and shading using real touch markers(wanted to see what these where about), but since it worked much better than I expected, gave me quite a bit of work cleaning him up and since he looked rather good after a nice coat of matt clear airbrushed on, I decided he deserved a space besides the other painted dudes.

The blue Frame was my first go at using lacquer paints, specifically Gunze's Mr. Color, and I quite enjoyed using them, since they where easy to apply and easy to clean (don't quite understand why people say these are harder to use than acrylics :p), ofc I have a proper spray booth and always use a respirator.
Other than that I basically tried to do a clean paint job, and most of the work on this guy was in gluing the seams and painting the appropriate colors since he was rather too white for a blue frame and was missing many(all but 2) of the orange accents. I also managed to loose the piece that formed the eyes, but nothing a bit of pla plate and some puty didn't fix.

Cool, robots FTW!
A bit on the clean side for me though, I prefer them dirtied up, but it's an acquired taste I'm told ;P

Seriously nice stuff mate! I'm fairly new here too but i can tell u that everyone has been really encouraging and helpful. It's a great community. Anyway, those mechas look pretty dang good to me! No need for shyness!

Thanks guys. Indeed people here seem to be quite nice :)

@Beork I do like some dirty others clean, but thing is I'm trying to use one model to learn one technique, so as to actually manage to learn something every time while not messing everything up (like I did with my first kit heh). At least so far I think it has worked moderately well :p Weathering is certainly something that I want to learn, but I'm still trying to decide how I will approach it and with what kind of kit.

Hi there!
Welcome fellow mecha enthusiast! Nice work.
I agree, this is the first on-line forum I joined!!! I love it here, The members are all very nice and very helpful. It is truly a cooperative community. I joined in spring of 2011 for the Big Spring Contest, didn't win anything. :( This year I entered and took 3rd place in the sci-fi category. Everyone is so helpful with tips and techniques, and you are correct, there is a lot of MEGA-Talent here. AND it can be a little intimidating, but I just try to do the best I can, and see what happens. I have built quite a few Gundams and various other mecha in my lifetime, and most of them have been rather "clean". I have kind of taken inspiration from Bandai on how they inject their molds, and have spray painted, using a variety of "rattle-can" colors while the parts are still on the sprue.
I am going to try some different methods in the up-coming "Gundam Group Build"!!! You should join that, if you haven't already! It starts Sept. 1st.
As a side note, have you ever built any of the Super Deformed Gundam kits? My step-son and I really like building the fantasy versions from "The Romance of the Three Kingdoms". They are small super easy, and fun, and I use a lot of metallics to make them all sparkly. :)

GREENBBDetail2.jpg

GREENBBSide.jpg

GREENBBDetail1.jpg

Okay, sorry for plugging up your thread with my pix, but I just wanted to share with you how they can look. :)

No problem, it looks awesome . I have a couple of SD's to start doing something a little quicker in between the larger stuff and for sure they can look awesome when done right. I picked one in particular with some nice crests to try out the reverse wash technique.

I'll join the group build for sure, probably going to try a candy kind of paint job.

Thanks for the comment :)

Latest posts

Back