So my contribution to the GB - "Working for MCA"

Some great scratch work Dan!! This is gonna be sick when your done!!!

Thanks people ;D small set back today, knocked the bugger off the table, but no biggie, just the front "cab" popped apart nothing a quick shot of solvent won't fix in a jiffy. Did get some more work done on it at least, doesn't seem like much, but it sure ate up the hours today!

With that said.....

This is the start of adding some detailing to the crew cabin, the three green odd shaped bits will become the crane platform, the hollowed out one being the meat in the sandwich.

reworkednomadduex4a.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-04

And then...

reworkednomadduex5.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-04

This is the beginning of the crane, reservoir and junction boxes have been added, need to build up the base of the crane yet and get some more work done on the arms of the crane as well, that pile of green on the front of the chassis is the cab in all of it's flat pack/ready for shipping goodness :D

More as it becomes available, sucks having to go back to work tomorrow, I was just starting to get a bit of rhythm going here!

Very small update, doing what I can with the bit of time I can manage before work...

Got a delivery today of a donor kit off of eBay, planning on salvaging the engine & trans, as well as the better parts of the suspension, tanks and bits and bobs from this kit....

reworkednomadduex6.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-05

As well, got some detail work done on the boom sections for the crane, added hydro cylinders, and the beginning of bolt and valve details, as well as sculpting the arm sections a bit.

reworkednomadduex7.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-05

Well, didn't any where near as much accomplished as I was hoping for over the weekend, got called in for some emergency over time and that pretty much put the kibosh on those plans :p

So this will be a shorter update, and at least show that I am still alive and kicking here, as I continue to slog on :)

... the wheels arrived and have been stripped of the chrome plating, ready to be masked of and painted, as well started dry fitting the engine and trans together, takes up a bit more room that I was planing on which resulted in having to cut away a few supports to shoe horn it into the frame (second picture)....

reworkednomadduex8.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-10

reworkednomadduex9.jpg

... last shot if of the frame that came with the truck kit, I have cut away the floor for the cab, mounting plate for the fifth wheel, cross braces, battery box mounts and a shaved off a few un wanted locating pins/mounts. This kit is sold as a skill level two, but goes together like a snap tite kit, over sized pins into slightly snug holes, not that it matters, it makes it easy to dry fit pieces together and test fit everything without committing to glue just yet.

reworkednomadduex9a.jpg

Hopefully through out the week I will be able to get the clean up work on the truck frame finished, and get joined with the frame I scratched up, and maybe get the suspension set up, and get back on to the crane arm I started.

Enjoy

I just noticed reviewing my post, the box for the truck kits says no glue needed, duh :) good enough from being cannibalized for this build though

Well believe it or not I have actually managed to get some more done on this beast. Unfortunately my Union involvement has kept me very busy the last couple of months, but I have managed to eek (spelling) a bit of time and managed to make a bit of progress, and so with that........

This is an over all shot of where I am at right now, you can see some details are finally starting to make there way into the scene now..

This shot is more from the "ground level" point of view, you can see up into the crew compartment and see that the inside of it is being detailed out as it will have a large window on the one side looking directly in. I tried to give a bit of perspective for a "life like" size...

This shot shows the crane boom (still need to add lines etc.), and a bit of detail so far on the crane operators cab....

Birds eye view, don't mind the huge out of scale masking tape holing the boom on ;D

I know I will never make it by the end of the GB cut off date, but I am not letting this one go until it is finished, for my first build back after 20+ years I could of picked something a little less ambitious maybe.....

Naaaaaaaaaaa ;D next update will include using a liner from a iPhone5 box as a roof piece for the forward cabin

Ok, so a bit of new progress. picking up where I left off last time

As promised the working in of the liner from my iPhone 5 box, the black piece on top is what I sectioned out of the liner, before rejoining the two remaining parts back together

And another shot cleaned up and ready for another go at filling and sanding

The building of the first side panel (the opposite side is cut out, and the first run of rivet holes has been done to it)

Same piece 95% done and cleaned up

A more detail shot of the same piece, showing where the waste pipe from the deck will pop out of to facilitate draining

And a couple of shots of the side panel attached (with scotch tape) as well as a view of the back end of this rig, showing the new window cut out, security camera and speaker mount and tail light housings.

It will be a couple of weeks or so now before another update, as I will be on the road for a while beginning next weekend, but work still progresses.......

hook1169 said:
All i can say is WOW! This is turning out fantastic! :eek:

Thanks Hook! I just wished it was progressing a little faster. Still waiting on some Voyager Humvee seat sets to come in so I can close up the forward compartment, then finish off the under carriage. I need days with a few more hours in them ;D

Latest posts

Back