So my contribution to the GB - "Working for MCA"

Subhuman1

Ok, I know everyone loves pictures, so I will start off with some pictures of my starting off point. The bodies where started late last year and put away as life got in the way but you can see at least what my starting point is with this shot....

doublenomad.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-26

I started by taking the center section and started grafting it into the middle of the other body, and just began the filling in of the wheel wells. the chevy is 1/24 scale, but the crew will be 1/35th. Just to make it seem larger than life. So far, the only parts I plan on using from the two chevy kits, are body parts, the two engines, maybe some of the front end suspension, and the read ends. We will see how that goes though.

These are the wheels I ordered off of eBay yesterday, haven't decided if it will be a six wheeled beast or eight yet, that decision will be made once the wheels are in had and I can size them against the body...

doublenomadwheels.png

By cowinacape at 2012-08-26

The plan is to be Zombie-esque, nothing committed to paper or anything, this will simply flow as parts and imagination allow

Dan

Small update...

Thanks for the comments so far :)

I managed to start hacking together a frame for this beast so without much further ado...

zombienomadbackbottomfr.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-27
This is a shot of the bottom of the frame looking from front to back, there is is still some weld seam detail I want to add, if I can find my Milliput :p

zombienomadbacktopframe.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-27
This is the top side of the frame, looking from the back towards the front. The row of holes along the rear edge of the corrugated floor is for drainage, you can just pick out the gray drain under the back end of the flooring, damn mutants can be so messy at times ;)

More to come as it unfolds....

And work on the "Mutant Control Authority" Recovery Vehicle continues.....

Jigging up the second part of the frame, the lower section....

jiggingsecondframe.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-28

The magnets are from the Micromark gluing jig, the panel they are stuck to is a old computer panel (available for free from many recycle bins, and many have thoughtfully already been supplied with 90 degree bends along their edges, and available in many sizes to suit your glue up needs ;D get a good supply of magnets though)

The frame now at about 80% done, frame halves have been joined, tubing work done, joiner plates have been added, need to finish the bolt details and do some clean up work on it.

nearcompletion.jpg

detailshot.jpg

Test fit of the body on top of the frame. Unfortunately I managed to screw up on one of the cross members on the upper set of rails, but once it gets painted and weathered, It won't show unless someone really goes looking for it, in which case they will be smacked profusely, discarded with the daily trash and never to be heard from again.

testfit.jpg

Enjoy

Thanks Spud, 20+ years of pent up energy from being out of the hobby, nice to be back into it again. ;D

Unfortunately I managed to screw up on one of the cross members on the upper set of rails, but once it gets painted and weathered, It won't show unless someone really goes looking for it, in which case they will be smacked profusely, discarded with the daily trash and never to be heard from again.

LOL that just made my day

Thanks Neo ;D

Work continues on slowly, playing with Micromarks version of the chopper, as I slice my way through some Hex rod making "bolt heads", not the quickest process, but easier (and maybe a tad safer) then doing them one by one with a razor blade and bleary eyes.

chopper1s.jpg

That is quite the undertaking. Seems like your doing a fantastic job. Should be killer, ...literally.

Thanks people ;D hopefully at least another small update tonight or tomorrow morning. been doing some thinking on paper and reviewing a bit of research material, time for some dinner and back to the bench for a bit.

So a very small update, more of a teaser, as I try to imagineer my way through this beast...

a couple of quick shots of the beginning of what will hopefully be the drives control cab, styled after crane controller cabs (thanks google images.........I think ;D )

The basic platform idea finally committed to plastic

firstpilothouse.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-31

the platform after some re-working of the cab floor, and sacrificing a cereal box to flesh out my ideas for the cab sidewalls

secondpilothouse.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-08-31

hopefully now that I have a couple of (hopefully) workable ideas the progress will pick up a bit of steam before I loose all the day light of this long weekend

A change of direction......

Ok so I have spent the last couple of days with a cereal boxes scissors and tape, trying to flesh out a look to the over all body I was going to be happy with. No luck with that, when I started grafting the Chevy's together I had an idea in mind, and I don't want to sacrifice the body (even though it is a long way from done - very very long way). And I could just not get the ideas for this build to "fit" in a way I was entirely happy with.

So with that said, the conjoined nomads where placed back on the shelf queen list for now, and instead I started scratching out a body that more fits (hopefully) the vision I had in my head originally for this build. So the only thing changing is from the frame up, so with out further ado a couple quick shots of the start of scratching out the beginning of the body....

This first shot is of the four bulkheads I have spent the better part of the last couple of hours (add another 20 minutes to that for cleaning up all the dust and shavings) you are looking from front to back the first area between the two first bulkheads is to be a "troop compartment and radio/com area" The control cab will still be mounted outside the main body cantilevered off the front end of this contraption.

reworkednomadduex1.jpg

By cowinacape at 2012-09-02

The second shot is the same thing looking back to front this second compartment will be where the collection crew travels, and if all works as planned this is also where the controls and boom for the crane will be placed as well. the flat area of corrugated in the middle will stay as originally planned, a cargo/cage area.

reworkednomadduex2.jpg

Time for a coffee break now as I take five and enjoy some of the other builds as well.

Very small update, fleshing out the cabins added a top, so it makes them a little easier to visualize, this will be the end of the plexi work for today, hopefully more tomorrow, I ahve already had to clean my mess up twice today, so for the rest of the evening I will stick with some smaller stuff.

reworkednomadduex3.jpg

reworkednomadduex4.jpg

And lastly, a good indication it must be time for a dinner break....

ouchy.jpg

A good shot of what can happen if you pay more attention to the the Clint Eastwood movie you have on, and not enough attention to the Dremel, the carbide cutter I was using, thankfully got more wound in my sock than in my skin, and yes those are burn marks around the opening ;D didn't even swear once! (didn't have time) so dinner break, and back at her for a bit.

Latest posts

Back