Sea Harrier FRS.1

hilld

Hey, I entered the contest today. After much debate I chose the Sea Harrier FRS.1. This will be my first jet since I built an unpainted Avro Arrow in about 1968. My class was learning about thrust and I showed them a picture of the engine on a Harrier and asked "why do they move?" One student figured it out right away. Anyway when I saw the kit I thought I'd build it as my entry.

Anyone else feel like they have kidnapped their kit and are holding it ransom???

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looks good.

I've already begun cutting and assembling my kit. I guess the ransom was never paid. ;D

Ohh, very nice. That's a good kit too. Looking forward to seeing it completed. Good Luck.

This is an older Tamiya kit (early 80's). Here is my chance to try some new skills.

1. I've ordered an Eduard detail cockpit kit... I am hoping it arrives by month end.

2. Scribing panel lines. This old kit has raised lines so this is a new challenge I thought I'd tackle while I wait for the cockpit.

I have started the scribing process. I started with the underside of the wings thinking that would be better practise than the topside. Dymo tape works very well as a guide. I just need to remember to take it slow. A few goofs are noticeable but I will fill those with superglue.
index.php
http://www.scalemodeladdict.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2448.0;attach=2749;image

Nice subject , Good luck with those panel lines !

Chris.

My Eduard packaged arrived already! Any tips working with photoetch greatly appreciated.

PE can be a chore at times to work with. But for the most part they just stick right on pretty well. I use a medium viscosity super glue. It doesn't allow for much time to move the part around but it's thinner and won't seap out around the part. Test fit the pieces obviously, and use some good tweezers. When bending, just take your time, the parts will, for the most part, bend along the crease lines. And just makes sure that you apply them on a smooth clean surface.
Good Luck

Thanks Myke. I'm looking forward to doing the PE. The instructions included with the package were a bit confusing but I think I've got it now.

Okay. I've been doing some research and I really want to put together my model to feature the Falklands War paint scheme that was applied on deck of the ships that ferried the Sea Harriers to the conflict. There are not many decals available but I have orderedhttp://www.kitreview.com/reviews/harrierdecalreviewbg_1.htm [/url]from Pacific Coast Models. I hope I can make something out of this sheet.

I just need to weather this cockpit a bit. I was impressed with the fit of PE parts. Next challenge - the engine nozzles- any ideas. If this were football I'd drop back and punt!

image uploading

for the intakes... make a small Filler sheet out of Evergreen Styrene !!!
then cut to shape... it will hide the parting line... but first... fill the parting line somewhat... first so your
thin sheet won't conform to the Divot that's there now !!!!

don't use plastic sheet that is too thick ! won't look as good !!! Take your time !!! you'll fix it !

Not gonna lie, those are rough. I would do 15 mins of shopping for a resin replacement before i dove in and rebuilt them. But then again, i'm lazy ... haha

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll try the Evergreen route from schweinhund227 if my hobby shop has it in stock.

Latest posts

Back