Scale grass

Capt_Taggert

Never give up, never surrender!
What's the best way to replicate grass? i'm back to work on a project that needs rolling hills and grass. Any ideas?

1/35 scale. I checked the website and the grass looks nice but i can't afford the machine that puts it on. Way over my budget.

You don't need to use that, there are several styles of grass from them made by several different brands.

Noch
Silflor
Woodland Scenics
Heki

That tool you saw is for the static grass, but they have pre-made mats, small pre-made, self stick tufts, dyed animal hair etc.

Each type/brand has it's own price range. Woodland Scenic dyed animal hair would be amongst the cheapest but require the most labor etc.

For instance, here's a one piece mat, 23"X47" for like $14.00:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NH00250

This past summer I made a DIY static grass applicator - it works OK, not as good as the $100+ one, but it only cost me $7.

There are several how-tos on making one on YouTube. I didn't tape the make of mine since it's been done. I will show it to you when I make the Spitfire groudwork - explain how I did it, show it in action and link to some videos.

Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing your results. I'll take a gander at youtube.

Yeah I wanna see that too. 8)

I've never been a fan of static grass myself but I'll happily watch what you did dood.

Great post and very helpful. Looks like I'll be buying some of the Silfur stuff for the HT and 53 Ford.

scratchmod

We'll see how it goes. I've only done some tests - like I said, it works. Main problem I see with static grass is that it's very uniform - like bristles on a brush - I"m sure I can inject some nice God Chaos into it though.

If you don't like the price of the commercial one, and couldn't be bothered to make your own....take the el cheapo way out.

Go to your local $ store, and buy a pack of balloons.

Paint on your white glue and water mixture where you are going to place the grass. Sprinkle on your static grass, let it set up for 5 mins or so. Blow up a balloon and tie a knot in the end. Rub the balloon on your head, (if you have no hair, borrow one of your kid's heads, wife/girlfriend's head, unsuspecting person walking down the street's head), then pass the balloon across the top of your work, the static charge on the balloon from rubbing it on your head will attract the static grass fibers, however because they are being held back by the glue mixture, they will stand up, and dry that way.

Good tip - I will show that in the vid too. I do have hair (so far) but I think finding an unsuspecting person would be much more fun!

Man!

Balloons, applicators, painted glues, dogs, mixes, unsuspecting people....

:eek:

sounds like waaayyyy to much work for me, especially considering the results.

I'll keep it as simple as 1. 2. 3.

;D

100_3361.jpg

100_3363.jpg

100_3364.jpg

I've achieved pretty good results by puffing up the static grass by blowing through a drinking straw. It's also somewhat cheaper than a dedicated static machine.

KEN,

What are those tall Grasses ? Are they too from Scenic express ? Those & the Shrubs look Awesome !!

panzerace007 said:
KEN,

What are those tall Grasses ? Are they too from Scenic express ? Those & the Shrubs look Awesome !!

Depends which ones you mean bro, there are tufts of woodland scenic animal hair used along side various stuff from nature to add some variation.

The Silflor stuff is the flowers, those smaller grass tufts, the leaves on the bush and the ivy on the well.

Prairie Tufts

Silflor Prairie Tufts are the way to go. Just like the photos. Mix colors and sizes. 4mm with 6mm. Be careful of the vibrant greens. I prefer using the autumn tone and any other faded types. Visit Scenic Express as the link is on page one of this post.

KEN,

I was referring to th Taller Grasses. It looks a lot like th Hudson & Allen stuff. I have some. Looks Cool ! Rock On !!

Well I just ordered me some tufts and grass for the HT and T-bird models. Looking forward to using these items. I think after seeing what Ken SMM has done with them, it's a must have.

scratchmod

Latest posts

Back