A Sci-Fi Diorama (1:160 scale) WIP

Peter54

My first modelling experience was in building a large diorama. I loved the challenge and all the new skills that came from it. I have been away from modelling since 2020, but now I am starting my second diorama. It will be large too, since a small one seems a bit strange for me. The first one was built for others, but this one will be for me. I am looking forward to the free creativity aspect of it.

I have a good basic idea of what I want to do, and that will be all I need for now. The rest will unfold as I progress.

SFDio-01-idea.jpg

The diorama, for me, is the overall display of the model, and so that is what I will be focussing on in this thread. All the sci-fi bits that will go into the display will be WIP threads posted in the Sci-Fi sub-forum. As each one gets made, I will incorporate it into this diorama and thread.

As a result of keeping my interest alive, I often jump from one part of the model to another. I do this when I need my mind to get a better grip of my next move, so I do something different until I get my lightbulb moment. So, I will most likely be working on both sub-forums as an overall progress.

I want this diorama to incorporate me. To do this I will create a niche, into the diorama, for me to get involved with it _ to operate and play with it.

Due to its size, and the need for possible relocation, it needs to fit through doorways etc. So, the diorama will be in at least two parts, the display table, and the frame/chassis that it will sit on. The display will rest loosely on the frame. Here is how I plan to do that.

SFDio-02-plan_01.png
to be continued...

Great start there @Peter54! A good diorama starts with a good plan which you’ve got here. But I’m curious what will be contained therein… Can’t wait to see the WIPs start popping up over on the other side of the forum! Cheers!

Here is the rest of the chassis framework.
SFDio-04-plan_03.png

The bottom section, with 12mm plywood floor, ought to stiffen the horizontal plane.
If the vertical need further stability, then I will add 6mm plywood walls.
SFDio-05-plan_04.png

I have updated the plans. The main differences is the use of joints to make the whole structure more ridged, plus two smaller modular insertion points.
SFDio-03-plan_02update.png

SFDio-04-plan_03 update.png

SFDio-05-plan_04 update.png

to be continued...

T-L: The timber arrived and it was awkward to get it upstairs.
T-R: Used two stools, one threaded, so as to raise the stand to the same height as the bench-saw.
B: All timber beams cut to size.
SFDio-07-lumber cut.png

Latest posts

Back