rubber Tires!!!

whiskee

what is the best way to make rubber tires look real? I am working with some tamiya rubber on 1/35 military vehicle and they are way to shiny and fake looking...can i paint them? Spray them down with matte? please help.

First trick is to sand the tread lightly to rough it up.
Not sure how matte would work, but I don't see a reason it wouldn't

Of course you can paint them..... We even painted Real Army Trucks tires "Black" for parades! LOL

Those were the days! LOL

Even rub old drab paint with Diesel to make it shine ! For making a General jeep Glitter in the Sun!

LOL

I don't think the guys would go this fart now a days! But anything goes!

Sanding down the treads gives a nice worn own effect! that is a great tip!

If you not plan to Sqeeze and twist the tires.... You can certainly paint them the color you want!

Just a few light coats will take care of that sheen ! And pigments will love clinging to that!

Best of luck

I'll add as well, give them a good wash in warm water and dish soap / washing up liquid after sanding the tread to add realism, often this will take a bit of the shine away, much like a real tyre which dulls with use and weathering.
Most people, as i do, wash all the plastic bits before assembly / paint / etc but few think to wash the tyres, doesn't take the gloss off all of them but it's worth doing first.

Latest posts

Back