Round the world in an Airfix kit (Event)

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hi guys ,

I'd like to invite you all to take a look at an event which is starting today .

A few months ago I was asked to take part in a build .This is no ordinary build ....why ? Well this build will be done by a number of modellers right around the globe !!!
Basically whats happening is ... A 1/48 scale Airfix Lightning kit is taking off today somewhere in England , That kit is going to be passed from modeller to modeller each in a different country right around the world . Each modeller involved will do his bit on the build ,then pass it on to the next until the kit arrives back in the UK where it will be finished and handed over to Airfix for the Heritage centre or possibly auctioned .
Asides from myself ;D , there are some top class builders taking part , Mig Jimmenez will be doing the Spanish leg of the tour .... Alex Glass ( Uschi van der Rosten ) is doing the German part , Even James May (Top Gear ) will be involved in the final part of the build . You will be able to find a list of all the builders involved once you visit the page .

It should be fun to follow this build as it works its way around the world ,something I dont think has been done yet !!! and could well be a record .
To watch the build unfold you need to be registered on Facebook as all the updates will be uploaded there only .
Please come along and have a look :)

( please copy & paste the whole link into your search bar )

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/groups/162412103883119/

Chris.

Wow, that sounds really cool, what a fantastic idea.

Props to you for being involved Chris. What's your contribution to the build ? Cockpit maybe ?

Watching Top Gear as I post this, I hope " Captain Slow " doesn't hold things up too much...lol ;)

oh this is Very cool, i bet James may will drop it and Ruin the whole thing :D

Thanks for following guys :)

Rookie ,you have maybe already visited the page ,but if not , I will be involved towards the end which means Painting :) ,it will then leave me and travel through England to get decals ...etc done ,then its heading to Spain where Mig Jimenez will do the weathering :)

Spud , Dagger , Lets hope there are no accidents eh !! ,Like I said ,I think its the first time something like this has been attempted ?? so we'll see how it works out :)

Chris.

Ok...so I tried copying the whole link and only got my FB Newsfeed...is there an official name for the group page?

Chris, Ill definitely be following this build. What a honor for yourself to be asked to be involved in such a build. Honored to be friends with a person on our forum thats been asked to be involved in the build. Good luck with your part. Im excited to see the work you do to the kit.

Thanks guys ,nice of you all to drop in :) ,hopefully the first updates will be coming very soon .

Blacksheep, yes the kit is going through North America ? I think ,you can find all the builders names and what country they are in on the facebook page :)

I will be involved late in the build ,doing some paintwork :)

Chris.

Chris, being very forgetful in my old age could you please mention or update this thread again when it gets to be your turn in the process so in case I do forget and dont follow I can catch up when it gets to be your turn and see the work you do to the kit ? Thanks Mate!!!!!

Chris, very cool, I was part of an around the world build. It was a Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire. Started in N. America, then to the land Down Under, then Europe finally ending up in the UK. The whole trip was 2 years I think.

Hi guys ,

Just letting you know that this build is now underway , The Lightning landed in France a few days ago for the first stages ,so we can expect some updates soon :)

It has been decided that the finished build be auctioned off for charity with proceeds going to Help For Heroes. We have some high profile people including the world renowned modeller Mig Jiminez, Top Gear's James May and Ben Parkinson who was badly injured in Afghanistan and has bravely fought his injuries and does work for charities including Help For Heroes

Chris.

Latest posts

Back