Riot in my Stash

FW190A-8

I have just caused chaos in my collection of yet-to-build kits. I have a stash of somewhere near 50 models and all of them are WWII aircraft. But thanks to you guys and some of your posts in this section I went out and got myself a tank! The other kits in the stash are ignoring it at the moment but I am sure they will accept it sooner or later. :eek:
I chose the Tamiya T-55A in 1/35 scale. I don't plan on starting it just yet. I will wait till I learn more about the intricacies of tank building from you experts. I have really only ever built airplanes and a few cars and bikes over the years......but never a tank. I definitely need to read more about after market tracks and how to get them looking right. Thanks for the inspiration guys. I will start it one day soon.
cheers,
FW190

The Tamiya T-55 is an excellent kit, one of the easiest and nicest kits anyone has ever produced. I have built 2 of them, and have at least 4 more planned (maybe more, depends on how many conversion kits Legends keeps releasing for that kit), you won't be sorry with it.

FW,

Welcome to th Dark Side !! There are some Very talented Guys in this D.G. We all can help ya into th Forray of Armor Warfare !! There aren't that many tricks. I bet you plane guys have more. But It's all Cool ! 8)

So ask away. I look forward to seeing your Builds !!

Nice choice of Kit ....Good to see you're coming down to earth ;D

Chris.

Hey FW im the same way the majority of my models in my stash are ww2 aircraft, but i have done a few tanks lately. so im glad im not the only one. I cant wait to see ur builds though. ;)

Hey guys. Thanks for the encouragement and a HUGE thankyou for the offer of advice.
I am glad I picked that kit now. It sounds like it is a good one to start with.
Is it possible to use the track that Tamiya provided in that kit or does it just not look real enough? If I have to purchase better tracks then thats OK by me. I am only too happy to take advice on this from you guys.
I read somwhere about Linkin Links tracks? Is that correct or is there something better for that kit? Wow. I feel like a complete beginner whenever I look at the parts inside the box! No wings !!! :eek: lol
I hope I don't bug you all too much when I start building this one.
FW190

Actually the tracks that come with the kit aren't that bad for a one piece vinyl track, and will look the part. The only thing, because they are vinyl, they don't have the sag to them that the real track would have. Some guys have replicated the sag by gluing the upper run of the track to the road wheels to give it that induced sag.

There are a plethora of add on options out there for it.

Fruili metal tracks, which will give you the natural sag, tons of PE from Eduard and Voyager just to name a few, metal barrels (I actually carry the RB Model barrels for it, which I think I have 1 or 2 in stock), Legend makes 4-5 conversion kits to turn it into different variants built over the years, Iraqi T59, Iraqi T69, Enigma, and T55AM2 are the latest, there are also fuel cell wiring kits from Mig and Legend, and that is just to name a few upgrades that are available for it.

Hi there Elm City,
Thanks for your reply. Now I have a few things I need to order from you including the Vallejo varnish that I mentioned to you on another post last weekend. I realise that you obviously post to Australia, but I was just wondering how I go about making this happen. Through your website I guess? And if so, is the postage a killer to Australia?
cheers,
FW190

Welcome to the dark side FW.
Like the others have said, the Tamiya T-55 is a very nice kit built OOTB. Of course like nearly all armor models there are tons of AM products available. I would recommend building the T-55 OOTB with maybe AM tracks, just to get your feet wet. Unless of course your really into PE and conversions.
One thing you can do is maybe get your hands on an older cheaper kit to practice on if you plan on doing weathering. Military vehicles tend to get very dirty.

scratchmod

FW190A-8 said:
Hi there Elm City,
Thanks for your reply. Now I have a few things I need to order from you including the Vallejo varnish that I mentioned to you on another post last weekend. I realise that you obviously post to Australia, but I was just wondering how I go about making this happen. Through your website I guess? And if so, is the postage a killer to Australia?
cheers,
FW190

Well, there are a couple of ways to ship.

Surface is inexpensive, but will likely take 10-12 weeks to be delivered, at least that is what my experience has been.

Air is about twice the price as Surface, and about 1/3 to 1/2 the length of time it takes to deliver. Despite what Canada Post says as 6-12 business days, I have never seen it get to Oz that fast via air.

The next step up is Expedited, and you don't want to go there, as it gets insanely expensive. Unfortunately, if the parcel size and/or weight exceeds 90cm total dimensions, or exceeds 1kg in weight, then it automatically then has to go Expedited.

Just go to my website, put stuff in your cart. When looking at your cart, on the bottom you can enter your address, and click update and it will give you a choice of shipping method, and then a shipping estimate without having to go through all the payment process and such.

Failing that.....there must be a company in Australia that sells Vallejo as well I would think.

Hey scratchmod.
Thanks for the advice. I went out and bought a cheap Airfix Panzer IV tank in 1/76 scale to practice some weathering techniques on. I have done a lot of weathering on the airplanes but not the type that you guys do on those fantastic looking tanks. I love that rust and all that caked on mud and dirt! Yikes!! What am I saying? Have I been seduced by the Dark Side??? :eek: lol

Hey Elm City,
Cheers to you for that info. I knew the postage would be a pain. I will try to see if someone local has the stuff and if not then I will be jumping on your website and getting them from you. I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Hey FW...like with aircraft models 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32...painting and weathering varies. On a 1/72 tank the weathering is a bit harder to replicate than on 1/35. For example chipping on that small of a model has to be very small as not to look out of scale. I think you know what I'm getting at right. It's just like with planes.

Just trying to help you out so you don't chuck it in the bin if it doesn't look good. I myself wouldn't know where to start if I were to weather a braille tank. :-\ ;)

Looking forward to seeing you post from the darkside.

scratchmod

I know what you are talking about scratchmod.
And talking about small scale....I will need those dang magnifying headwear glasses thingamajigs to build it anyhow. I can barely see the bits inside the box when I took the lid off! Maybe I will just use the plastic bits to practice that rust technique on. But I do love the box art on that lil Panzer kit.

Robbo,
So I believe. I hope I can do it justice. If only it had wings and a tail. :p
Actually, I am kinda looking forward to learning some new techniques and to have something different on the shelf. It should be fun I hope.

You nailed it FW...having fun....that's all that matters buddy. Enjoy the build, and thanks for reminding me that I need to get one of the magnifying things myself. ;D ;)

scratchmod

Latest posts

Back