Revell F/A-18E

muniz21

So, I'm new at this hobby, just started about two weeks ago, and I thought I'd show you guys my first build. It's a Revell F/A-18E in 1/48 scale. I got it for $12 at the local hobby lobby. The kit at first seems nice, lots of detail and nice riveting and panel lines in the fuselage, and it comes in 11 sprues, 1 with the clear parts. I decided to do this whole plane using only enamel paints,as I think they're easier to work with because I read that acrylics are harder to thin and basically harder to spray, please if you would give me any advice regarding acrylic paints I'd really appreciate it. I got some model masters light ghost gray and dark ghost gray for the fuselage, and the rest are the normal little enamel bottles from testors.

IMG_20150122_151318_zpsfassjaos.jpg

I started this about 10 days ago, but I didn't take pictures of the first building stages, which only were assembling the cockpit and the intakes and nose of the plane. The intakes and the nose came together just ok, I had lots of seam lines which I had to fill with putty, for which I used testors modeling putty, which is terrible to work with (learned the hard way). Here's how the intakes and nose turned out.

IMG_20150126_173114_zps2mau87cu.jpg

After assembling the cockpit and painting, I did the decals. I'm proud how the whole cockpit turned out since it's the first time ever I've put on waterslide decales on anything. I used micro set and micro sol to make the decals shrink right in to the control panel/dashboard. As I write this, I noticed I used too much yellow on the side controls of the cockpit, so I'll be repainting it with silver.

IMG_20150129_151111_zpsbemdc6my.jpg

Next, I put together the back of the cockpit and painted it flat black. Also, I just got my first airbrush and I'm still learning how to use it, so don't go too hard on me.

IMG_20150129_162249_zpsrpfcn9wj.jpg

Next part was to fit the intakes into the fuselage, and thats where all the trouble started. I had a massive gap between the left intake and the fuselage, and after sanding some parts for about an hour, finally reduced the gap down to about 2 milimiters

Before:
Massive gap
IMG_20150129_173416_zpsnet4n6qb.jpg
IMG_20150129_185854_zpskghy4eob.jpg

After: (Had to make a lever with a sprue to close the gap)

IMG_20150129_190115_zps8qiruuyi.jpg

Notice how terribly bad the inside of the intakes came out? Well that's thanks to testors putty, I spent like 3 hours sanding down very carefully the inside but still could notice the seam lines. Huge dissapointment for me :( I think this is the worst part of the plane so far.

Next, I had to marry the upper and under sides of the fuselage. The fit is not very good, I ended up with lots of seam lines and gaps that I needed to fill.

IMG_20150130_004134_zpsms105arx.jpg
End result
IMG_20150202_014711_zpswgnnjfzx.jpg
IMG_20150202_014802_zps1otseemx.jpg
IMG_20150202_014809_zpslhfcrt2w.jpg
IMG_20150202_014819_zpsrm70qyz7.jpg

After the testors putty lesson, I went to hobby lobby and bought tamiya putty, which I used yesterday to fill the seams and gaps left in the fuselage. This stuff seems nice, it was easier to work with and today I checked how it was doing and it is rock solid, much harder than the testors. I figured I will leave it another day just to make sure it is well dry, and tomorrow I'll start sanding and rescribing the lost panel lines.

IMG_20150204_165136_zpsjqccbn7q.jpg
IMG_20150204_165235_zpskhv1otkp.jpg

So that's the work so far on my F/A-18E, I still have a long way to go but I wan't to do this as best I can without rushing it or anything, and as I said, this is my first model ever so any advice is Greatly appreciated. I'll keep updating this topic as I progress, tomorrow I have a TON of sanding work to do, as the tamiya putty is way harder than I thought, but I'll try to finish it all tomorrow and update the topic with some pictures.

Thanks for watching, have a good day.

Looking good. I've been debating on picking up this particular model. Great job, I'll be keeping my eye on this build.

Looks to be coming along nicely. Excellent work on that cockpit!!
The Tamiya putty works much better than most others in my experience. It may also be helpful to apply some masking tape on either side of the seam, apply the putty, and then remove the tape while the putty is still moist. This keeps you from losing detail and shortens sanding time. You may also smooth and remove some of the excess with a cotton bud dipped in solvent. For Tamiya I use 91% alcohol or lacquer thinner in a pinch. Work perpendicular to the seem so you don't remove all the filler.
Keep up the good work!!

ulvdemon said:
Looking good. I've been debating on picking up this particular model. Great job, I'll be keeping my eye on this build.

Thanks, it is a nice kit, has lots of detail, a little complicated for a newbie like me but I think I can handle it, more experienced modelers should not have issues with it, so it's definitely worth buying. I'll update the build as soon as I can, thanks for watching.

Deere_driver said:
Looks to be coming along nicely. Excellent work on that cockpit!!
The Tamiya putty works much better than most others in my experience. It may also be helpful to apply some masking tape on either side of the seam, apply the putty, and then remove the tape while the putty is still moist. This keeps you from losing detail and shortens sanding time. You may also smooth and remove some of the excess with a cotton bud dipped in solvent. For Tamiya I use 91% alcohol or lacquer thinner in a pinch. Work perpendicular to the seem so you don't remove all the filler.
Keep up the good work!!

Thanks a lot!! I really appreciate the tips, the alcohol will definitely help recover some lost panel lines and detail, and also the masking tape will sure help me out next time I use the putty. Thanks for the tips and for watching.

Cockpit is looking really good.
Your seam work is progressing a lot better than you give yourself credit for

I would suggest trying Perfect Plastic putty. Its water soluble and easy to work with. Wet qtip removes the excess and reduces sanding to virtually zero.

That aside, you are coming along great!

For your first build you're doing superb!

Really impressed with your work so far. Keep it up fella!!

Looking forward to seeing your kit evolve :)

Thanks for the words guys, I'm doing the best I can but still need to learn a lot of techniques. I'll update as soon as I make some more progress. Thanks for watching.

smokeriderdon said:
I would suggest trying Perfect Plastic putty. Its water soluble and easy to work with. Wet qtip removes the excess and reduces sanding to virtually zero.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look it up on ebay and get a tube to try it out, because I haven't seen it at hobby lobby. We barely have a hobby lobby in this town, so I'm kinda limited on supplies. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back