Revell 1/48 F-105-F/G Canopy issue...

smokeriderdon

OK, so this is my first post and it is, of course, a cry for help. LOL

I have been building models most of my life. Due to life, I haven't touched anything in about ten years. So now I find myself with the time to go at it again. So I got the kits I had in storage, bought new paint, and had been doing some magazine reading to catch up for the last year or so.

One of the kits I broke out was the one in the title. I had half heartedly started it back when, and figured I would work on it to start off again. One of the new things I discovered is liquid mask. Cool stuff, right? So I mask away on the canopy pieces. Well, it seems either I missed some spots or put it on too thin and the paint made it through.

Soooooo, do any of you folks have a clue as to where I can get another canopy? I have turned up squat in my searches, and would really like to get this model at least halfway decent.

hi there smoker, and welcome to SMA !!
is there any chance that you can save that canopy? i mean... you can remove the paint with oven cleaner (at least that is what i use when i mess up my paint works) i have also heard lot of modelers in here using isopropyl alcohol.
hope that can help you rescue the canopy. let me know !!
have fun !

Hey, welcome to the forum smokeriderdon.

I'd second the advice that Osquitz gave you. Depending on the type of paint being stripped, I've used Easy-off oven cleaner (in the pump bottle) for enamal paints and Isopropyl alcohol or Simple Green for acrylic paints. If you do decide to strip the paint, be sure to test out the chemical on a painted scrap test piece first.

I'm surprised that a vac-formed canopy can't be had for this kit...

Unfortunately I scratched it so its pretty much toast. I will remember the Easy Off thing though. Never heard that before.

I figured there would be a canopy for it out there as well, but I can't find it if it is.

hi mate
why dont you polish it out,with fine grades of wet and dry,then a soft cloth and tooth paste to get the final small marks out,dip it in some future floor polish for a nice shine and to make it clear..it works i have done it

I considered sanding, but did not know how it would go. But being as it is screwed up already, what's it going to hurt, right? LOL Thanks, I will give it a go.

I did this with tamiya a few times .i needed a part so i emailed them and said i bought the kit and the part that i needed was missing so they said no problem send a picture of the the instruction sheet and the kit numbers and they sent the new part for free. or you can even ask a person behind the counter to ask revell for a new canopy .

smoker, the guys are right, your canopy can be saved. Strip clean it first then light sand it with high grit wet/dry sand papers. Start out with a high grit then graduate to the next highest grit. Follow that up with an even higher grit and if need be a grit that is extremely high....should feel like a silk type texture....and give it a final buff job. The key to this is extreme patience. At all stages of sanding you should have a foggy-like appearance on the areas of the canopy your working on. Don't be alarmed because by the time you get to the final sanding with your highest grit you'll just about have most, if not all, of your clarity back. One final thing is to dip the canopy in either Future Floor Polish (US) or Klear (UK/EU) same product, different names. This will flow in to all the absolute micro scratches you don't see that are there because you can still notice a slight fogginess on the canopy. Set it off to dry but remember to cover it with a cup or container of some type. Give it 24 hrs. to cook like that and voila! New canopy for new scratches!

Latest posts

Back