Return of the Cold War T62 build.

Jeep

Previously in this thread; Topic: The cold war, the multitude BUILDS and eventually building a T62 I got wrapped up in a new job, and already frustrated with the build it got pushed aside for other projects and real life including planning the building of a new home. Now, once again unemployed I have time to put some effort into this project from hell to try to wrap it up. My plan is to bring it to a level of completion that I am happy with, continue to experiment with some weathering techniques and maybe base it with some of the other bits but not nearly as ambitiously as originally planned.

Earlier this week a brought in the spray booth and some of my hobby tools out of the (cold) garage man cave into the warmth of the computer room and set up a bench. I inventoried the model, it had taken a bit of a beating being shoved aside on the bench for two years. I have spent the rest of the week repairing that damage until last night I started some new progress. This build has been nothing but fraught with pain from the beginning. It should be no surprise that I managed to cut myself cleaning resin almost right away. So with the blood offering out of the way, here is the progress.

In the past two years I have continued to gather information and references for this tank, the file now have eight books, 15 magazine articles and a photo file of 1200 T62 reference images, a lot of work but I feel like I have the information I need to figure out where things go.

I have have very limited funds so I am going to use the tamiya T62A kits rubber band tracks and since the resin "burned wheels" are being so contrary I am also going to use the kits road wheels.

Nice to see you going after this one!! I have this kit...if you can get by with out all the AM stuff personally, this will build up into a nice kit!! Burnt out wheels ey? Nice...can see where your going already!! I think Ken has proven the use of the bandies to be more than acceptable! For sag and what not, there is a little extra work, if you planning on blown off loose track though you may want to reconsider a set of workable tracks...Maybe someone has a link and length set the want to get rid of as the workable will set you back $30 to $40USD.

Either way, Count me in on following along!! Two years of research...this sound like fun!!!

LOL...well that explains where you at!! Looks great!! Keep at it!!

The weathered patina of spilled soda pop and weathering powders, That's why the old keyboard goes on when models are on the bench.

Anyhow, I got a little more done over the holiday, planning on working on it some more now.

added some more photo etch, still trying to figure out were most of it goes.

Well I started with the base layer of rust using enamel auto paint as a base. I have let that dry for several days . Tonight I laid a mixture of rust pigments down as a base. I went a little light as thing darken down a lot when the follow on layers were added to my test. Here is the result so far.

Tonight I started off applying some heavy coats of hair spray and coarse salt to the model. After waiting a little while I sprayed some model flex European dark green over top. Waited a few hours and started scrubbing the salt off. This took some doing, as I was a little to thorough with the hair spray. Consequently some bits came off and some of the resin has shown through, Nothing a little tough up and some follow on pigments will not fix. Still trying to decide whether or not to apply some more salt and do a coat of desert yellow over top of the green, Anyhow here is the current status:

Alright, got a little more done today, I used some green fading pigments to put some sun damage on that stark contrasting russian green paint I also worked some of the rust pigments in to cover up some of the damage I did with the salt and hairspray mask I did last update. I still have not decided on whether or not to apply some tan paint or leave it as is, (suggestions) I will add some details and touch up paint once I look over some references again if I am going to leave it as is. I also need to start working on the base yet.

Looking really nice there!!! Personally I would go for the tan, I am a fan of the contrast!! Coming together now!! ;)

Latest posts

Back