first build

Juno Beach

So decided to start modeling in my retirement after 50yrs. of not building. Although the building back then was very crude. An old mongram spitfire put together with not tools or research, just glue it a quick paint job done. The typical right of passage for a young teen. To now where I went out an purchased all sorts of tools, modeling books, and paints. The goal to model various vechicles used by my relatives in WW1 and WW2.
First up a MK II universal carrier from Tamiya 1/35 scale, with Eduard photo etch. Representing the Perth Regiment of Canada which my uncle was a member. So here it is first build, first use of photo etch and all brush painted with Vallejo products. Gun slings and netting as well as small diorama scratch built.
all comments welcome.
Cheers Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_6425.JPG
    IMG_6425.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6427.JPG
    IMG_6427.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6429.JPG
    IMG_6429.JPG
    229.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6433.JPG
    IMG_6433.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6435.JPG
    IMG_6435.JPG
    248.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6441.JPG
    IMG_6441.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 42
This is great work!

I've only been back in the hobby for about a year.
tI've set my retirement date as 01-02-2025, just to get my New Years pay. Then it's adios muchachos! :D

Thanks for the kind words. Still working on getting better, as compared to the builds on this forum.
congratulatons on the up coming retirement, hope you can find sometime for modeling. It seems that after retiring you end up with less time as home jobs take priority.
Cheers Dennis

Thanks for the kind words. Still working on getting better, as compared to the builds on this forum.
congratulatons on the up coming retirement, hope you can find sometime for modeling. It seems that after retiring you end up with less time as home jobs take priority.
Cheers Dennis
Thanks.
I find your builds very inspirational!
Each diorama I built was a first each time; pacific theater, North Afrika Korps, Winter, & Fall(ish). With each one I had help from the guys on this forum.

I've heard that being retired is more work than being employed, especially with the "Honey-do" lists from the wife. But I'm going to make specific time for models

Last edited:
Thanks.
I find your builds very inspirational!
Each diorama I built was a first each time; pacific theater, North Afrika Korps, Winter, & Fall(ish). With each one I had help from the guys on this forum.

I've heard that being retired is more work than being employed, especially with the "Honey-do" lists from the wife. But I'm going to make specic time for models
I currently employ 2 guy's that retired from our company and were desperate to return to us for a rest........the feet up drinking beer and watching the game in peace at home didn't happen. Pantherman

Very nice work. Love the detailing parts in the compartments.

Very nicely finished & presented with the background.

Laurie

So decided to start modeling in my retirement after 50yrs. of not building. Although the building back then was very crude. An old mongram spitfire put together with not tools or research, just glue it a quick paint job done. The typical right of passage for a young teen. To now where I went out an purchased all sorts of tools, modeling books, and paints. The goal to model various vechicles used by my relatives in WW1 and WW2.
First up a MK II universal carrier from Tamiya 1/35 scale, with Eduard photo etch. Representing the Perth Regiment of Canada which my uncle was a member. So here it is first build, first use of photo etch and all brush painted with Vallejo products. Gun slings and netting as well as small diorama scratch built.
all comments welcome.
Cheers Dennis
Hello Juno and all,
I am just getting started on the long road to build models again. Like you, I was maybe 13 when I built my last model. I am now 72! I have been researching and catching up on all the changes that have occurred over the years. My late father, like many on here fought in WWII and was wounded just outside of Düsseldorf, Germany in 1945. He was a foot soldier, and he was lucky to make it home and fully recover from his wounds. Accordingly, I grew up playing army, watching every war movie, and reading all I could about WWII.

My first effort to get back into modeling is to build fighter planes, used in WWII. So, my learning and research continues, and I will be buying an airbrush and learn how to use it. That alone will take time, before I dare use it on a build. For the first time in my life, I have the time and place to do this, and I am enjoying the process more each day.

The internet is amazing for this type of project, you can find just about anything and get questions answered by many people. All you have to do is sort out the 'wheat for the chaff'...and learn from that.

More later,

CC

PS Juno...your first build looks amazing! You inspire me to get it going...

Sorry if you mentioned this and I've missed it, JB, but how did you make your cobblestone road and the rest of the groundwork?

Sorry if you mentioned this and I've missed it, JB, but how did you make your cobblestone road and the rest of the groundwork?
Sorry for the late reply, on vacation and have been out of reception.
pink styrofoam insulation board, scale the stones to 1:35 scale and cut slices in the board. Then take a round toothpick an run along all the slice marks to get separation between cobbles. Paint on sealing primer then, paint all the cobbles varying shades of grey/ brown. Take white glue( mod log) and put it in all gaps between cobbles and then cover in fine sand. Let dry a remove the excess sand and all that should remain is the sand in the gaps. Then give it a good wash with a brown or rust color. Then add some slime green Vallejo product randomly, some dirt from the garden mixed with white glue. And done .
cheers Dennis

Thanks, Dennis! I've seen similar techniques using foam insulation, so I was curious. They look really good, great technique!

Best regards,
Brad

Latest posts

Back