resin bust question

ridgers22

metal up your ass
hi guys i need some help... iv just bout my 1st resin bust and was wondering if anyone knew how to prep it? theres a lot of little round bubble like things all over it and some really hard flash i dont know how to tackle. any help will be greatful

thanks
wayne

Hi Wayne, the little bubble things are most likely pin holes / air pockets ,you will need to fill them and sand ,sometimes if they are not to big , a drop of CA will do ,again sanded down , trim the flash down with a sharp blade ,then sand to finish ,I normally wet sand under a running tap to cut out dust .

Chris.

Generally resin should be washed (unless otherwise told by the manufactorer) to get rid of any leftover residue in form of release agent. Luke soapy water should suffice for this.

For cleaning up the parts there's several tools that can come in handy, especially if it's a hard (crystalline) type of resin as they call for a little extra care when cleaning up flash and imperfections as the resin can splinter under too much force from a blade etc.
Some manufacturers like British Games Workshop and Forge World use a softer type of resin and for that a razor saw for removing gates and a sharp modelling blade is usually enough to get you by when cleaning the models up, although a good set of files often come in handy as well along with some epoxy putty or other filler.

For harder types of resin the razor saw is a must, to minimize breaking and splintering of the resin. A sharp blade is also handy for removing flash and other small imperfections. Modelling files and sandpaper for smoothing are also very practical and the same goes for filler/putty ofc.
Cyano glue is also a must with resin.

And also recommended is a good primer, the urethane based primer from vallejo is great (for airbrush) or the aerosol version.

Hope this helps a bit :)

thanks guys thats a big help for me as iv never worked with resin before. i will be starting my thread soon as i have it all cleaned and sanded smooth.:)

Latest posts

Back