Resin and Paint Issues

Dusky

I assembled and painted my CMK resin cockpit on Saturday. It's now Tuesday and the Rustoleum paint on the resin is still tacky and the resin is a bit soft. I've used Rustoleum on resin before with no issues. Could it be that the resin wasn't fully cured? Or is it a different type of resin that shouldn't be used with Rustoleum paint?

Did you wash your resin first?

resin getting soft migh be that your paint wasent mixed well enouph and too much thinner got on. i.e laquer thinner will softer resin. Its always good to prime firt to protect the parts. you might still be ables to stip the paint and start over.

or maybe try to dry it with a hair dryer on low heat setting moving around alot not to let it heat up too much

Now while painting just now i tought of something

Resin is most of the time Epoxy base.. now if you use Rust o leum Epoxy paint thats your problem... if you dont want you paint to affet the other paint/materials dont use the same base.

Example i do all my painting/weathering with oil base stuff so if i want to be able to whipe of my washes without damaging my base coat i put a Acrylic clear coat in between. Aclylic wont be affected by the weathering OR the thinner i use to whipe it off with.

I could not tell you, but I have had that problem with rustoleum before where it would not cure. I was not using it on resin at the time however.

This is one of the reasons I quit using it.

The resin was clean. Normal Rustoleum enamel. It cured fine on the plastic and nickel plated PE. It just didn't cure on the resin. I like using it because I can brush it on and use it as a primer. I can't spray paint up here so using Tamiya primer or Mr. Surfacer are out. More reason to just build armor.

Could just be a bad batch of the paint. I've had a can of Rustoleum that just NEVER cured fully and kept a dull sticky coat on some car parts I was doing. I made the mistake of putting clear over it to find it peeling a couple months later

Except it cured fine on the plastic and photo etch as stated above. It was still tacky and venting fumes this morning.

Hi,
Yeah Rustoleum and Resin is a no no. Kind of the same way Vinyl does. Not sure of the chemical why and what for, but if it does "cure" later it will form cracks and blister. Works great on styrene and metal just not on resin. You can safely strip it with no damage to the resin. You can first spray an Adhesion Promotor (found at auto parts stores) on first and then prime with Rustoleum with no problems.
Hope that helps
Steve

Latest posts

Back