Realistic metal colours

fubar

Can anyone recommend a range of realistic metalic colours that are also suitable for chipping and weathering?

I'm after a finish similar to this for my model if possible.

Dl-44.jpg

Hansoloprofile.jpg

Thanks in advance.

TTFN Matt

While not for the weathering part, your best bet would be to use Alclad lacquers or Talon acrylics for the base coat. They both produce a very realistic metallic finish.

yep alclads, you will need to be in a well ventelated room for it. and defo want that mask.

also you will need to paint it gloss black first i beleve. but look at there site and i think all teh info ya need is on there, and you can get them form emodels they have a wide range of alclads

If you do use Alclad, DON'T use their primer or gloss black. They are horrible, the gloss black especially. If don't want to take my word just search Google about it.

OK thanks for that, i'd never heard of Alclad before but they sound like a good place to start. I'd like to coat the whole model in a realistic metal colour then paint it black then weather it down to show the 'metal' underneath just like in the photos if poss.

TTFN Matt

I myself have had fantastic results with Alclad's gray and gloss black primer.

you would try coating it with ak dark steel pgment sealing it use hairspray paint her black and cheip it back to reveal some kind of metal, just a taught.

I have used all 3 of their primers before I started using the Vallejo primers, and they all work well...the white is a little on the thin side, but works, then again I have yet to see a white primer that doesn't look a little thin.

As far as their Black Base you use under some of their metallics....it goes on slightly translucent, but works well for their paints that require the gloss black under them. Some of the car guys here swear by it, and they were normally using Humbrol or Testors Gloss black enamels to undercoat Alcald, and even they say that the Alclad Gloss Black base works better. I have seen the results side by side...and while there isn't much of a difference, there is a difference in using the Alclad Black base....it does give that extra "umph" to the color coat.

The Alclad II Grey Primer & Microfiller (ALC 302) is great stuff. Plus I just pour some in the brush and go, no thinning.

Um why not use gun metal color? Alclad make one of them

If you don't like the thought of using Alclad Lacquers, the metallics in the Vallejo Air line are very good as well.

Oooh nice a shiny. Makes me wanna paint some Necrons up. ;D

They do a gun metal colour paint! DOH! Didn't see that one. lol

TTFN Matt

SoarinSukhoi said:
If you do use Alclad, DON'T use their primer or gloss black. They are horrible, the gloss black especially. If don't want to take my word just search Google about it.

I use alclad black enamel base for the alclad chrome and for the model master metalizers as well..
I have videos demonstrating both products (alclad/metalizer)over the alclad enamel black base.
works great ,, very chrome-like .. no rubbing off (so far) no problem with fingerprints or degradation of the finish.
what is your experience with the black base ? could it be you got a bad batch ?

:-\thanks for the links soarinsoukhoi... I guess I can count myself lucky (so far)
it may be that some people are putting it on too thick ,, and we all know how long enamels take to dry if too heavy a coat is applied.it can take a lifetime !

I've heard that the newer bottles are a different formula, but I don't use it so I wouldn't know.

Latest posts

Back