Raised panel lines

Capt_Taggert

Never give up, never surrender!
I've never been comfortable working on models with raised panel lines, does anyone have tips or tricks to make these kinds of kits look better?

On some kits raised lines are just as historically accurate as engraved lines but engraved lines do look better and are easier to weather. Since alot of the kits I have are Revell/Monogram kits, I work with raised lines alot and the only thing I can say i that you just have to be careful working around them. For example, when you're sanding and filling it is very easy to lose the intricate raised details. Inevitably your are going to lose some, but just take your time to minimize the loss. For restoring lost details I would suggest using stretched sprue. If you are really uncomfortable working with raised lines then you might want to start learning how to scribe models.....this is a skill I know I want to learn how to master.

I've always scribed them in next to the raised panel line. I'm not going to lie, it kinda sucks and takes a lot of work..., but I'd rather do that than have to worry about losing the raised lines when filling in seams and things like that. After scribing the Monogram 1/48 scale B-25 and the F-101 I've become pretty good and quick at it.

To repair, stretched sprue does work pretty good but I have always had difficulties trying to get it to match up properly, and I still ended up doing a bunch of sanding to make it look right.

I've read from a few sources that most of the raised panel lines are out of scale and need to be toned down, but I guess you could say the same for scribed lines as well.

Thanks for your advice. I've tried scribing on kits and it didn't turn out well, but maybe I'll take an old one and try again.

Latest posts

Back