Questions about paint

Docbritofmf

Hello everyone,

As some of you may have seen I recently got back into modeling and have been working threw a few kits trying to practice some different techniques and skills till I get to my goal project the LHD3 USS Kearsarge.

Currently I'm working on CV 63 Kitty Hawk (academy models 1/800) and I've come to a cross roads so to speak on paint.

To be honest from the start I don't really have any issues with acrylic paint I just for some reason prefer enamel idk prehapes I like it difficult lol the problem is locally my enamel colors are extremely limited to basic colors no in between shades are specialty shades it's all straight gloss or flat with the occasional dark sea blue or light tan.. but mostly the base colors red blue green brown yellow black gray ECT..

Any ways I'm painting my carrier and being ex navy I know there's a difference in haze gray, weather deck gray, non skid, and flight deck with the later on the list some times the same colors used in different based on availability to the ship. But I can't find any other shades of gray besides gray lol.

Enamels arent the easiest to mix though I have done it before but honestly I'd prefer to just find a jar of the color I want so I don't have the need to mix an entire batch and hope I have enough left over for touch up that I don't have to try and remix a new batch and hope I get the color the same.

As far as enamels go any suggestions on were I can find some decent naval colors or should I just gave and go acrylic?

I recommend you go acrylic .
Scalehobbyist has every friggin color you could ever need , and mixing them is easy if you need to modify a color .

Do you use an airbrush? For years I airbrushed plain jane Testors enamels. Having said that, I much prefer Tamiya paints over anything. Now their colors aren't alway uber-accurate, however I think the quality of their paint is top notch. Vallejo Model Air is also good quality, and they have an enormous amount of colors.

I like to thin my Tamiya colors with lacquer thinner. I used to use glass cleaner too.

For Testors acrylics, I used a mix of water and glass cleaner.

Do you use an airbrush? For years I airbrushed plain jane Testors enamels. Having said that, I much prefer Tamiya paints over anything. Now their colors aren't alway uber-accurate, however I think the quality of their paint is top notch. Vallejo Model Air is also good quality, and they have an enormous amount of colors.

I like to thin my Tamiya colors with lacquer thinner. I used to use glass cleaner too.

For Testors acrylics, I used a mix of water and glass cleaner.
I just started airbrushing I picked up a decent iwata brush the other day I had a few cheap air brushes from horror frieght and Michelle but they were such a hassle I gave up on those today was the first day I broke out my iwata and after some trial an error with pressure and lacquer thinner I got pretty comfortable with it. The enamels I'm using are testors they get the job done but are limited in color options I'm gonna have to either order some Tamiya or travel to a legit hobby shop and see what they stock.

I'm willing to try acrylic but I got a bunch of enamel I'd like to try and use up before I make the switch. Honestly comes down to storage space lol the wife only allows me much room to keep my things she finds non essential

Latest posts

Back