Prometheus

letsgobrowns82

Well I just got done watching this movie. I remember seeing the previews and being really excited about it coming out. After having watched it though I think I can honestly say that it was one of the worst movies I have ever seen! Not only did the movie suck, but it was really long. So there goes 2 hours of my weekend :mad:

I thought it was a great movie.
Special effects were great.
Good actors.
Drama and mystery.
It was interesting to see where the Xenomorph started.
So where is the "suck" part in this movie?

Black Sheep 1 said:
Good actors.
Drama and mystery.
Well it left a ton of questions.
First, in the beginning of the movie I guess we can assume that that was the aliens creating life on earth its pretty vague though. I wont hammer them for that, I guess they just assume we can make the connection.

Second, they make a huge deal about these constellations being some kind of map back to our creators but accordind to the carbon dating those happened far after the engineers were there. So why were their cave drawings did the engineers come back and show early man, if so why wouldn't they have killed early man since thats what they were trying to now do.

Third, this black goo substance is a mystery of its own. The first engineer that drinks it is atomized and turned into DNA that starts life. Then it turns one of the crew into some kind of monster but somehow creates a child in Elizabeth who is suppose to be sterile. Why all the different reactions to the same substance.

Fourth, why did David the robot put the goo into the drink anyways. Throughout the entire movie it seems he has a hidden agenda but we never know what it is or why he has it. He see's the map and seems to know the engineers want to destroy earth and still leads the crew down their to wake up the last engineer.

Fifth, I really dont care how advanced humans are in this future but after having your stomach wall cut your not going to get up and run anywhere, period!

Sixth, why did the engineers decide they want to now destroy earth.

Seventh, what the hell are the snake sucker face things. Is that what they were going to infect earth with? Am I to believe they are intelligent enough to create life but they get killed by their own weapon that they are planning to use on us.

I dont know maybe I'm on the opposite side of most of you but movies are stories. Sure special effects are great and its always nice to have good actors but the main attraction is the story and I thought this story sucked.

letsgobrowns82 said:
Black Sheep 1 said:
Good actors.
Drama and mystery.
Well it left a ton of questions.
First, in the beginning of the movie I guess we can assume that that was the aliens creating life on earth its pretty vague though. I wont hammer them for that, I guess they just assume we can make the connection.

Second, they make a huge deal about these constellations being some kind of map back to our creators but accordind to the carbon dating those happened far after the engineers were there. So why were their cave drawings did the engineers come back and show early man, if so why wouldn't they have killed early man since thats what they were trying to now do.

Third, this black goo substance is a mystery of its own. The first engineer that drinks it is atomized and turned into DNA that starts life. Then it turns one of the crew into some kind of monster but somehow creates a child in Elizabeth who is suppose to be sterile. Why all the different reactions to the same substance.

Fourth, why did David the robot put the goo into the drink anyways. Throughout the entire movie it seems he has a hidden agenda but we never know what it is or why he has it. He see's the map and seems to know the engineers want to destroy earth and still leads the crew down their to wake up the last engineer.

Fifth, I really dont care how advanced humans are in this future but after having your stomach wall cut your not going to get up and run anywhere, period!

Sixth, why did the engineers decide they want to now destroy earth.

Seventh, what the hell are the snake sucker face things. Is that what they were going to infect earth with? Am I to believe they are intelligent enough to create life but they get killed by their own weapon that they are planning to use on us.

I dont know maybe I'm on the opposite side of most of you but movies are stories. Sure special effects are great and its always nice to have good actors but the main attraction is the story and I thought this story sucked.

Dude...it's called science fiction.
You're not supposed to be able to explain everything, you're supposed to just enjoy it.

The black goo is the seed and it's supposed to interact with existing DNA and other elements available.
The snake sucker thing is the predecessor of the face hugers that continued to evolve....

I don't know but that's the great thing about this movie, so many unanswered questions.....there may be a sequel?
I'm jus hoping there's a model of Prometheus soon.

As for Elizabeth performing a C-section on herself with that advanced medical pod.....it's science fiction!

As for the robot having an agenda, remember the first series were faulty (Remember what Bishop said in Aliens).
;D

Well perhaps the problem is that I never really follow the Alien series. If you liked the movie thats great, we just have different tastes I guess.

Go and watch the Alien movies, and all will be revealed.

Sometimes it is better to watch the prequel first, even though there are lots of questions, they would have been answered for you if you had of watched the other Alien movies.

Yes it was long, but I didn't think it was that bad of a movie either, kind cool to see where it all started.

I thought it was an interesting movie. I think many people were disappointed because it wasnt a direct prequal to the Alien movies.

[quote author=Black Sheep 1]
I'm jus hoping there's a model of Prometheus soon.[/quote]

Jaitea posted a link I believe to resin model coming out soon, the threads on here somewhere......just can't find it. :-\

I thought the movie was excellent, from a movie and especially a Sci-fi point of view. as for a prequel, not bad. It had a few moments that I thought were dumb, but that's just my paranoia kicking in.
There are several youtube vids that try to explain things from the movie. I'd suggest checking them out.
Personally, I can't wait for the sequel to Prometheus.

Cheers!

It was the prettiest terrible movie I watched in a long time. Even more terrible and pretty than Avatar. Not one character was interesting. Not one character had a moment of belief. Not one plot of the tale worked in the 'Alien' universe. Not one action scene made sense. It was a terrible movie, and sci-fi does need to make sense if it wants to be believed. But it was beautiful.

Gundamhead said:
It was the prettiest terrible movie I watched in a long time. Even more terrible and pretty than Avatar. Not one character was interesting. Not one character had a moment of belief. Not one plot of the tale worked in the 'Alien' universe. Not one action scene made sense. It was a terrible movie, and sci-fi does need to make sense if it wants to be believed. But it was beautiful.

But that is an oxy-moron......Sci-Fi and makes sense don't go together, otherwise they couldn't call it Sci-Fi.

A dude that flies around in a copper and gold suit shooting laser beams out of his hands, while having a small nuclear reactor for a heart doesn't make any sense either, which is why they call Ironman sci-fi as well.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Gundamhead said:

But that is an oxy-moron......Sci-Fi and makes sense don't go together, otherwise they couldn't call it Sci-Fi.

A dude that flies around in a copper and gold suit shooting laser beams out of his hands, while having a small nuclear reactor for a heart doesn't make any sense either, which is why they call Ironman sci-fi as well.

No it's not. The fiction is the made up part. The science is the stuff that's supposed to explain it to be believed in science fiction. The same as in any fiction. You're supposed to believe it is possible. It's supposed to make sense in it's own fictional world. Prometheus fails that. Ironman didn't. But ignoring that odd comparrison.

Following Alien universe logic.

In Alien Queen-Egg-Facehugger-Chest Burster-Alien.
In Prometheus there's not even a vague similarity to that cycle. You get alien worm+blackgoo=penis worm that makes super mutant zombie legs over head human.
Or you get black goo+man=pregnant human=squid=alien queen.

How about the crew? Intersting vharacters? Not a one.
A Captain who fails his crew and comes up with the whole story at the very end out of the blue?
A super mapper guy who gets lost?
A biologist who freaks at a dead alien critter then plays with a live one?
A woman forced to give birth via csearean to an alien who then happily carries her forcers body and head around after repelling down?
A Dr Anushole who wanted to meet the makers and then gets there and turns into a drunk idiot?
A old coot about to die?
A psycho cyborg just because?
A daughter waiting for the old man to die?
And 9-10 others that don't even get named they're so boring.

The engineers. They're running. They have holes burst out of their chests. Their decapitated heads pop. They pig pile in death. They kill themselves with black goo. They make tons of black goo.

The black goo. Bad writing device.

The aliens. Squids? Penis worms? Huh?

Howabout the story? As ridiculous as this 'sentence'.
Big dude pointing at starts in cave paintings= they made us and want us to go visit their them at their secret bio weapons labs with big paintings of queen aliens that don't exist yet but so they can kill our world they visited many times in various eons of our past using black goo but now it's a race down to seconds to stop them on Christmas.

But the visuals were grand. It is a beatiful film. The locations seem real. It's the only saving part of the film. Nothing else in the film hold up to a milligram of casual scrutiny.

You know what irked me about the movie, the way it ended. They made it seemed like there's going to be a sequel. The lead character with the decapitated android head fly off to space to "get her answers" from the engineers. I didn't get closure. :mad:

If one hasnt followed the lore of the Engineers and the Aliens franchise from the beginning, I can see the confusion and the immediate jump to " this move blows." The DarkHorse comics explain alot of what most see as a mystery.

There were explanations to most of the quirky scenes such as the Bishop, the Black Goo ( which is a plot vehicle to symbolize the creation of life and the inherent evils that come with the power of God ) the snake like worms are also a primitive form of the facehuggers we are all so familiar with. Everything that was in this movie is supposed to be a precursor to the following movies, but only as a point of canon and not to lead stride for stride into the previous 4 films.

More and more, the focus is being projected onto Weyland-Yutani and its inception/development and is the linking moment between the films.

It was a brilliant piece by Ridley Scott, although it doesnt carry the same gravitas as the original Alien film. The visual effects were impeccable and the story ( if you can ignore the horrific acting ) told the story of what it was meant to be. We find our creators/God ( intergalactic bio-weapon engineers ) who then proceed to destroy their creations because of the "betrayal" of the rogue engineer we see in the opening credits. It's essentially a parallel to the Book of Genesis / The Fall of Lucifer ( Ezekiel 28:12,15)

Now, in summation, I can say the movie would've been 20 times more plausible, if you can call any Alien film plausible that is, if instead of running straight she would have juked to the immediate right or left :)

- Die Hard Alien Fan-

TBadger said:
If one hasnt followed the lore of the Engineers and the Aliens franchise from the beginning, I can see the confusion and the immediate jump to " this move blows."

I found this that cuts the confusion to a minimum. ;D
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back