Primers

Airwolf

Is it better to use a primer exclusive for plastic models (such as a Tamiya primer) or a primer from home depot?

From your experience do you see any difference from the two

All imput is welcome :D thanks

I don't think there's a 100% real answer to that...to each his own in the modeling world...

The main goal of a primer is to help the paint stick the the model, they will all do that.

The thing here is to find what works best for YOU, get some white plastic spoons of a cheap FOR SALE sign and try different things side by side and see what you prefer...

Also keep in mind that a simple primer might be good for armor where the finition can be somewhat rough but you might want to use a primer/filler or a primer/sealer if you are working on a show car...

Heck! I've people in MAGAZINES not use ANY primer with great results!!

I'm still a modeling noob, i make a point of trying something new with each model i build since i'm not looking to enter contests or anything..i learn with every build!

I am sure that you will get some more specific replies from someone a lot more experienced than me but this is what works for me!

Good luck!

The biggest thing with household primers is that they tend to be a little thicker than a hobby primer, so you can end up covering up detail on your kit with a household primer if you aren't careful. Other than that, for the most part the same.

Of course using any primer from a can, it can go on pretty heavy handed if you aren't careful. With an airbrush you have more control over where and how much primer goes on.

Ditto what ECH said. Hardware store stuff is fine but you are likely to loose fine detail.

Just make sure whatever you use is plastic safe and you should be ok.
I use old sprues to test new paints for any reactions.

Do to time over the past 2 years I,ve only really been able to work on quick projects, mainly 25-30mm figs and found Armory primer. The particles in the medium are significantly smaller than in general purpose primers and also use on models. Also some solvent based primers will eat plastics. The benefit of using primers made by model manufacturers is that it is intended for use on scaled subjects rather than full size items. Even though some are more expesive due to the items you are painting it will last for a while..thanx

I've used the Tamiya primer and its nice, but I've gotten essentially the same results with cheap, generic hardware store automotive primer, which is what I use for everything now. I can't really see much of a difference, I mean we're talking micron scale levels of difference, at best. That's my 2 cents! :p

I've been using Walmart's generic brand of automotive primer, for a long time, on plastic, on metal and on resin. It gives a good, fine-grained surface, and is cheap compared to hobby companies' own primers, like Tamiya, and even compared to non-modeling alternatives, like Rustoleum. However, I've noticed a tendency for the rattle cans to clog up over time, with at least half of the paint still inside. That means tossing them and replacing them, eliminating the price advantage. I've bought a can of Tamiya primer and used it for the first time, and I'm very pleased with the result. I'm thinking that here's another scenario in which I let my Dutchy senses rule, when I should have followed my frugal senses ("Frugal does not mean cheap, it means you don't waste anything"--Jeff Smith)

Latest posts

Back