Plastic Cement Choices

Dusky

I'm becoming very sensitive to my usual plastic cements, acetone based Tamiya and various methylene chloride cements like Tenax, and I'm wondering if there are some alternatives out there, either liquid cement or thicker cement. Not anything similar to Weldene, though.

You could always try the Limonene cements, Tamiya makes one, Mr. Hobby also (although probably a little harder to get than Tamiya), and I think Testors makes a tube glue with it.

top.jpg

They take a little longer to work and set up...but don't have the hard smell and chemicals.

Thanks! I have Testors Non-Toxic Liquid Cement which isn't bad, but it's a tad too thick. The Tamiya stuff should work nicely.

ive never used the tamiya one but i use Humbrol Liquid Polly for most work for slower stuff I use there poly cement which is thicker and slower setting. then if I need it to go off quick I use Ambroid Pro Weld

xlqpc.jpg

195-274-large-500x500.jpg

6005-110.jpg

I'm always on the lookout of less noxious alternatives in modeling supplies second the limonene suggestion. Only thing to be aware of is they take quite a bit longer to set fully, and they will not work at all on ABS type plastics (only kits I know which use ABS are Bandai MS kits, and at that only on select parts). Likewise limonene just isnt hot enough to work on Plastruct, but it does work very-well on the Evergreen styrene.

Its my first choice when assembling something 'cause I too hate the acetone fumes....but I do keep the others on had for when I need something to set....like, right NOW. :)

The MrHobby one is quite thin, almost like Tamiya extra thin, while the Tamiya has a little more resin in it, closer to their regular acetone cement like Elm said.

Latest posts

Back