Photo Etch for Pioneer tool clips

Hey guys,

New to the board, and I'm gonna be building a Canadian Cougar AVGP for the War Wheels group build. I'm looking for some generic photo-etch parts for strapping pioneer tools to the outside of a vehicle (Swiss MOWAG hull, like the LAV-III). My Trumpeter kit came with the pioneer tools molded into their clips for placement outside the vehicle. Thing is that we never stowed our tools on the outside of the vehicle. The tools would pop off of their mounts as we drove. As well, the mounts were on top of a 9-foot high hull. Not very accessible or handy.

I'd like to have the clips on the hull, but without the tools stowed in them (the way we did it). I feel that just cutting the tools off and gluing the remaining bracket would look goofy, and to just get the bracket with no plastic where the tool was molded would be a lot of unnecessary filing, sanding, and work. :p

I've been out of the hobby for 15 years now, and I'm looking for a resource and some much-needed help for accurizing my kit to the way we did it back in my Cdn Army Reserve days in the early-to-mid-90's. I have big plans for this kit (fixing the stupid mirror mounts, making a cloth gun mantle and engine tarp, etc.) and I'm hoping to get some much-needed help from you guys. I'll be bugging the Air guys about accurizing the Trumpeter 1/32 F/A-18 into a CF-188 from 409 Squadron, eventually, so please don't feel like I'm just leeching from you armour guys.

BTW, where can i get a 1/35 modern armoured crew with berets instead of helmets or field caps?

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!

Three are loads of places to check for figures I find net merchants have a big selection to choose from historex are also good although seems harder to find exactly what you want.

As for the tool clips that should be easy to source also, I'm sure one of the other guys will know were to look for that

Both Real Models and Black Dog have Modern CDN crews and figures. Unfortunately they are modern as in serving in Afghanistan, not a crew that would be seen in a Cougar "back in the day"

Real Model has a LAV crew, and 2 tank crews, Black Dog has a Tank Crew and a set of soldiers.

All can be had from my website below.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone!
I had a look at the PE LAV-III set, but it's a little too pricey just to get 3 or so parts, IMHO. I was thinking of a small PE set that would have some clips & straps for any modern AFV. Doesn't matter about the make or anything. No luck so far (but lotsa resin fuel/naptha cans, sig wire spools, engine tarps, tow cables, camo nets, etc!!).
Accurate Armor has some British AFV crew sets that might work, but they look awful on their website. Any experience with these? I've got lots of miniature painting experience, so as long as the faces are sculpted half-decent, they should work out fine.
Any ideas about creating 1/35 scale para cord weaved along a hull? How could I do that? We would tie para cord along clips welded to the hull to stuff a bunch of foliage on.
Thanks for helping out a noob!

Decided to go with the Eduard Scorpion photo-etch 2-sprue set. Cougars had British Scorpion turrets mounted on them. Just found it on eBay for $13 Cdn, including shipping. It's got lotsa extra goodies on there, like periscopes, gunsights, a comm wire spool, and tons of other grilles and stuff for the soon-to-be 'spare parts box'.
I also saw on Armourama that someone used German ISAF (or something) troops for Canadian troop analogues. Combined with beret heads, they might do the trick. Just need headsets for them now...can you get just headsets for a generic 1/35 figure? Maybe have to look at the Accurate Armor figs again, and see if i can save them with a little Green Stuff... ???
Now it's time to watch Grendel's tree making tutorial and learn to craft some real foliage camo for the hull!

Hornet do head sets at least I think it's hornet but there ISA few that do them

I thought he was asking about headsets (as in headphones/earphones) and not head... sets like Hornet.

I could be wrong though. :-X

lol dude I dunno. ;)

When I read post I understand the words as to there literal meaning, headsets made me think of a commanders headphones etc.

It's the editor in me, I can't hep it. 8)

LOL get your first article in and now were all mere mortals :p

nah that aint it at all dude, I was editing member submitted reviews and news articles and such for a couple different armor forums for many years before coming here. ;D

(and I've actually been published before mate but who's counting? ) ;)

Are you also looking for the common Loopman Tie downs ??? those are seen all over the Cougars as well !

P1140198.jpg
I'm using this picture just to point out the loopman... the AFV isn't the AVGP he is talking about !!!

Those are available !!!

A-LW35048_MED.jpg

Although a set for WWII vehicle... the Loopman are still part of your Pioneer Tool tie downs !!! aren't they ?

you could just slip thru the Canvas Straps and fold over..??? just a suggestion !
from http://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=10438

ScaleModelMadman said:
nah that aint it at all dude, I was editing member submitted reviews and news articles and such for a couple different armor forums for many years before coming here. ;D

(and I've actually been published before mate but who's counting? ) ;)

lol i wasnt too sure about you being published before but i kinda geused it any how :) but i still wanted to have fun with ya :)

Just to clear the air, I was talking about the radio headset worn by crew members. My question was about finding just those radio headsets that I could fit onto some beret-wearing heads.

As for the loopman tie-downs, that would be GREAT!! Thanks for the suggestion, schweinhund227! The provided pic has pretty much everything i need to find it.

Again, thanks for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated, and should make for a fine finished product.

BTW would it be worth it to get the photo-etch folding tool and/or bending mandrel from Micro-Mark? I saw DreamKnight's solution to bending photo-etch already. I plan to keep on building after this, and putting in rich details on my builds. The folding tool's almost a $50 touch. :-[ I'm going to be putting in an order right away for some decent tweezer sets and other tools from them anyways. Opinions?

NecronautDrummer said:
Just to clear the air, I was talking about the radio headset worn by crew members.

Thank goodness, I thought I was loosing me mind. ;)

Another option for footman loops are Tiger models resin ones. They aren't flat like PE and are pre-shaped. Just remove from pour block and glue.

I love em!

...and they're 5 bucks!

the etch tools are costly no doubt i dont have them my self but defo somthing i could do with

ScaleModelMadman said:
NecronautDrummer said:
Just to clear the air, I was talking about the radio headset worn by crew members.

Thank goodness, I thought I was loosing me mind. ;)

Another option for footman loops are Tiger models resin ones. They aren't flat like PE and are pre-shaped. Just remove from pour block and glue.

I love em!

...and they're 5 bucks!

Looks Good KEn ! How many do you get for 5$ ??? I might get some ... Me too is tired of bending those stupid things... LOL

Latest posts

Back