Paper VF-1J

Fruit

Here's a summer project that I've started any hopefully will finish in 2 weeks time. Being patient with this one, I was hoping to start the GPM Challenger 2 I had this summer but I really wanted to test some things out.

Note: Credit to Shunchi Makino, Janx, and Getter 1, all of whom are way better paper modelers than I and have made some awesome stuff. Shunchi Makino created the original design of the Valk Gerwalk and Fighter mode for this model, which can be found here at his homepage, SF papercraft.

Shunchi Makino's site: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sf-papercraft/index.html

You'll find some awesome stuff there like the Enterprise, his most recent completion and collaboration with another amazing designer UHU02.

Janx and Getter drew up some awesome stuff to make it more complete and added the battaroid mode. They also did several recolors, about 30 give or take, and added Super parts, Fast packs, and the BPS-1 Armor.

The re-worked model by Janx and Getter 1 can be found here - http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/downloads.php?do=cat&id=1

If anyone's feeling up to this stuff there's the link :D

Here's the head upclose on a 5cm wide cube. The head is about 1.5-2cm in length and height. Alright, so another thing I did was add a lot of layering and detail to the head. I also scratch built the antenna's by using toothpicks painted with acrylics.

Now here's the chest nearly completed. Again, an example of the layering I did on the chest.

Another view of the chest.

Final picture, showing off the back. Lovely graphics, but I reprinted it and layered it again :D

Doh! Totally forgot the credit where credit is due part! Lemme go edit my first post I'll write up more on it! :)

Couldn't get these shots in the last post for some reason, so I might divide these 9 images or so into 3 posts or 2.

Shot of the leg with the chest. Just a quick dry fit. Quick note, the fin on the shin and knee guard are not glued down, only dry fit, so you can see some gaps there in later pictures.

Joints in action. Not too bad of articulation, I replaced the paper joints with some other stuff. They're pretty tight and definitely do not flop.

Shot of the backpack detail I did. Lots of layering and I had to design those little boosters since they didn't come with the kit.

More pictures :)

Picture of the wings detailed and layered, took me a while and some reprints, but it was worth it.

Shot of the backpack binder detailing. I was going to cut it out and extrude it backwards but I already glued it on.

Here's the upper portion of the chest that I layered.

Last shot. Holy jeebus curving that long piece in the center was insanely difficult.

More updates later :)

Very cool. I've seen a paper model of a Regult also in my travels, (never built it however).

In a perfect universe, where I had all the time in the world, I would give this a try. I have seen these selling on Ebay. But didn't know you can just down load them.

Thanks for the post. It has been informative, and I have been curious for a while about it. Nice work!!

Thats really good work and looking nice!

As one who has dabbled in paper models (it didn't really "take") I can appreciate the work you've got into this.

For my next Macross fix, I'm eagerly waiting for the Bandai Messiah kits to be available in NA (or rather I'm waiting for one of Elm's suppliers to get them ;D ).

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the comments :)

@ Jeep and DreamKnight - Thanks!

@ Jmac - A Regult paper model, cool!

@ Grendels - Yeah, I have to admit it does take a long time to build this stuff. It took me 12 hours to just form the chest.

@ Sunsanvil - Thank you! Ah, the Messiah VF's, I've heard a lot about them. Most of the reviews were kind of mixed because of loose joints and proportions. Personally I like it!

@ Java - Will do, I've got a lot of work ahead of me ;D

@ Quaralane - Thanks!

@ JMac - Thanks for the link, I'm thinking about using that for a diorama for the VF-1J. :)

@ Marios - Thank you! :D

Alright just a quick update! :)

Uptop shot. Not too effective, but I like it.

Overall shot to show the progress as of yet. I've completed most of the other leg and still have to do the other foot. I've also got a whole lot of modifying, detailing, and layering to do on these legs, since I saved them until I actually finished forming the entire legs.

Dang, can't put 4 thumbnails in one post, I'll just make 4 separate posts.

More pictures coming up :D

Action shot. Just showing off some of the articulation this thing can pull off. Truth be told it isn't much.

Shot of the back, nothing much to say about this picture.

More pictures coming up :D

Shot of my possible choice for it's pose in the diorama I'll make.

Another possible canidate for the diorama. With this model, I plan to get a nice glass box for it, and a sturdy wooden base. From there, I want to put it in a diorama by making an asteroid ontop of the stand and have the VF-1J sort of "boostering" off it while shooting his weapon and grabbing a broken arm of his fallen comrade. It'll take me a while, but I'm back on 24/7 with this model.

Hold on there's more! :D

Whew, this is taking longer than I thought! Here's a video that I put up of the entire WIP with some new shots and new progress. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aed2uN507Cs

Latest posts

Back