painting instructions

mamaofamodeler

Hi All!
New to modeling and, as my profile states, Mama to a Modeler.
We have a military plane.
The instructions state X-11:1, X-11:2
X-11 is the paint color, but what does the :# mean?
Thanks!

Probably the number of items to be painted that ?

What kit is this ?
Can you post a photo ?
Sometimes there is a legend in the instructions that explain the descriptors and icons used - on the first page or so with the sprue diagrams .

Hi All!
Thanks!
Looks like tamiya paint mixing instructions but I don't know why they'd want you mixing the same color together since there is no need. Are you sure the second one is also X11? The forumula is X-11 is the color and the :1 means 1 part. The second X-11 must be a misprint and the :2 indicates 2 parts. Meaning a mix of 1 to 2. Like Urumomo said a photo would help.

Yes, it's exactly as Jim says. The paint is a 2 to 1 ratio, but it's either the instructions have an error or perhaps you mistyped.

And you are a great mom to not only be involved with your child's hobby, but to be the one creating an account to ask questions. Too many parents pay no attention to their kids or what sort of internet they consume.

From TAMIYA Instructions they are usually mixing ratios, as Jim62 stated.
"X" is usually a gloss designation.
"XF" is usually a matt (Flat) designation.
"TS" are the spray cans.

The numbers usually refer to the ratio. In your example, as Jim62 also stated, that one doesn't exactly do much to a ratio.

Yes, it's exactly as Jim says. The paint is a 2 to 1 ratio, but it's either the instructions have an error or perhaps you mistyped.

And you are a great mom to not only be involved with your child's hobby, but to be the one creating an account to ask questions. Too many parents pay no attention to their kids or what sort of internet they consume.

I apologize stevethefish, we posted at the same time.

Hey gang, as far as Tamiya is concerned, "X" is ALWAYS gloss, and "XF" is ALWAYS flat...and caps are for emphasis...NOT yelling...hahaha...! and the numbers ALWAYS refer to ratios of any given number of paints. I say this because saying "usually" implies there are other meanings for those Tamiya equations. I wanted to clarify these terms so there is no ambiguity with the paint issue, as our club has many young folks and new older chaps that want to get off on the right foot. I am not criticizing anyone here for their excellent help with noobeez, just wanted to clear the air so there is no confusion.

unclepine

Probably the number of items to be painted that ?

What kit is this ?
Can you post a photo ?
Sometimes there is a legend in the instructions that explain the descriptors and icons used - on the first page or so with the sprue diagrams .
Looks like tamiya paint mixing instructions but I don't know why they'd want you mixing the same color together since there is no need. Are you sure the second one is also X11? The forumula is X-11 is the color and the :1 means 1 part. The second X-11 must be a misprint and the :2 indicates 2 parts. Meaning a mix of 1 to 2. Like Urumomo said a photo would help.
Unfortunately this forum does not allow me to add a photo from the gallery on my phone
Yes it is Tamiya USAF Fairchild Repbukic A 10A Thunderbolt II, pg5 bottom right

Hi All!
Thanks!
NEVERMIND!!!
Now that someone introduced the idea of mixing the paints
I went back and it’s actually x11:1+x12:1
Wow! I must have been looking at the instructions too long!
Thank you everyone for your help!!

Yes , it's what others have said .
I have this kit :

isby4pX.jpg
E4FVd04.jpg

Hi All!
Thanks!

Those are Tamiya color, paint mixing ratios. Example in instructions. Hope that helps...

Attachments

• Tamiya-paint-color-mix-ratios.jpg
    Tamiya-paint-color-mix-ratios.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 3
NEVERMIND!!!
Now that someone introduced the idea of mixing the paints
I went back and it’s actually x11:1+x12:1
Wow! I must have been looking at the instructions too long!
Thank you everyone for your help!!

Which makes 100% sense now! Thank you for the clarification and tell your modeler to keep at it.

Latest posts

Back