P39Q Aircobra - Thompson Trophy Air Race

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
G'day folks, this is my second entry, Hasegawa's 1/48 Air cobra. Hope I can make the deadline, if not a good excuse to start it anyway :D. I plan to make it in flight with the landing gear retracted I'll try and fashion some kind of stand for it.

Yet to start, but looks like a reasonably straight forward build, it will be nice to build something non-military for a change. Can be done in red or yellow but I'm liking the yellow for now.

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
Cool! That yellow will be nice! Also, the Polar Lights Dome bases/stands are good for in-flight birds. They have a ball joint on the top and all you need to do is drill a 5mm hole in the plane.

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Reaction score
Something a bit different , should be a good one :)

Chris.

The Model Dude

"Yeah, well. The Dude abides."
Reaction score
That is a sleek design on that plane! I like how it looks. :)

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Nicholas, I've been searching the net looking for a suitable stand and have only been able to find an Airfix jobby that I didn't like the look of.

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Got some work done on the office.

Curiously they made the doors as one clear piece , no biggie. Masked off glass on both sides.

Gave it a coat of clear before pin wash and instrument panel decals.

Thanks for looking :) :)

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Office complete

Dry fit of the doors

Thanks for looking

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Most of the major construction done. The fit on this kit is spot on, very little work to be done with seams on a tiny bit of filler needed here and there.

There is no option for a flight state in this kit, had a hard time with the landing gear covers and had to scratch a couple of pieces. Not 100% but will have to do.

There is a resin intake scoop ( sorry no pic ) that runs down the centre of the underside fuselage. I will have to drill a hole in it at some stage for my stand. I've never worked with resin but it seems a little brittle, I'm hoping it won't shatter to pieces with the drilling..... Comments ?

Thanks for looking :)

Neo

What do you mean i'm addicted to Airplanes!
Reaction score
Nice pit

im curious what color did you shoot over the yellow and is there a special technique?

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Neo - pit colour is Tamiya chromate yellow, no special techniques, just pre shade with a little dry brushing, sponge chipping and pin wash.

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Still pluggin away at this. Got the wings attached to the fuselage . A few holes needed filling and a bit of filler here and there

The prop came as 2 cast metal parts, required some cleaning but went together nicely with some CA.

The spinner is resin

Canopy is drying after being dipped in future, just need to mask it then I can get some primer on this bird.

Thanks for looking . :)

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Time is ticking away, not sure if ill finish this in time... :-\

Canopy masked and fixed, didn't fit that well

Primer on , a few bits will need attention

Gotta get some paint on it !

nicholassagan

sippin on gin + juice
Reaction score
primer always does wonders!!! this is shaping up nicely so far...can't wait to see paint!! are you going to pre-shade? that yellow coat will look good with a little pre-shading under it...

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
Yes there will be preshade ;)

rookie

This is not a toy
Reaction score
A little more progress. Preshade as requested :)

Ran out yellow paint.... :mad: quick run down to the LHS for some more. I will finish of the yellow tomorrow , beer and football is calling ;D

Thanks for looking

Latest posts