"On Canadian Wings" group build over at ARC

Question.....

What about a Spitfire Mk.IX, likely built in Canada (but no proof), flown by a Canadian, but flying for the US.

Case in point, the Italeri US Spitfire Aces, there is one marking option for Lt. Vic Cabas, he was a member of the RCAF, achieved his first victory in the skies over Dieppe, and was then transferred to the USAAF 52nd Fighter Group in North Africa where he flew MkXI's.

The markings show USAAF on the fuselage and top of the wings, but Canadian roundels on the bottom of the wings. Of course no proof that the Spit was built in Canada, but more than likely it was, so Canadian all around with the exception of the service it was in.

Think it would qualify? Or is that pushing the boundaries too far? I started it for the Spitfire group built at CAMS last year, but only got the cockpit painted and assembled (so well within the 25% rule). Would be nice to finish it, and if it qualified for the GB, then all the better.

I woudn't have any issues with that. Im sure it could be researched further with the serial number, from what I know the Canadian built a/c had a certain range of serials and the British had another range. Norm Sheoppard could shed some light on that Im sure.

I was thinking of maybe doing my Mosquito Mk IV FB, it was from an RAF squadron, with I believe an Aussie pilot, but the aircraft was built in Canada. But Id really liek to get that Lancaster Mk 10 SAR built.

Well....so much for that idea. Heard back from Norm....apparently there were no Spitfires built in Canada during WWII, we built pretty much everything else, but no Spits.

So....that means that the only connection my MkIX has to the GB is that it is flown by a CDN pilot on loan to the USAAF, albeit with CDN markings on the bottom of the wings....but that is pushing the rules and the scope of the build just a tad! LOL

Its borderline Scott, But Id allow it simply because of the interesting markings and Canadian Pilot, go for it.

Latest posts

Back