Odorless Thinners?

SchweddyBalls

Hopefully someone can answer this for me and if this has been posted before I'm sorry.
But is there really a difference between Ammo, AK, Humbrol odorless thinners then the odorless thinners you buy at the local hardware or big box store?
Just seems kind of silly to spend $10 on 200ml of Ammo thinner when I can get 1 quart of it for the same price at Home Depot, if it is indeed the same product.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• thinner.jpg
    thinner.jpg
    909.6 KB · Views: 1
There are a lot of alternatives to AK or Mig products, that are more reasonably priced. For weathering powders, or washes, for example, you can make your own.

For example, I use a ten-dollar set of pastel chalks that I bought years ago at a local artists supply store. It's a set of earth colors, including a medium yellow stick and a black stick. I grind it as I need it and blend my own.

Same goes for all of the washes. I have paints, and I have solvents, so I don't buy commercial washes. I put the money I save into expanding the stash ;)

However, I do concede that the commercial products make such techniques available without having to spend time learning how to make them through trial and error, and they also provide more consistency of result. But once a modeler learns that he can make these things himself, I think, he gradually stops buying them.

One things for sure... You can spent way too much money on stuff you don't need.

20 years ago I just used paint to do the weathering. I wasn't smarter lol the models still turned out great... Well sorta

And doing your own washes doesn't seem very complicated diluted paint really. Just make sure you either varnish or use paints based on different solvents.

That said since I've been out of the hobby for so long I've bought some washes my self to try them out... But I'm for sure going to make my own when they're used... If that ever happens.

Hopefully someone can answer this for me and if this has been posted before I'm sorry.
But is there really a difference between Ammo, AK, Humbrol odorless thinners then the odorless thinners you buy at the local hardware or big box store?
Just seems kind of silly to spend $10 on 200ml of Ammo thinner when I can get 1 quart of it for the same price at Home Depot, if it is indeed the same product.

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

I don't think there are any differences at all between AMMO and AK, but either thinner is definitely different to the cheapo general store equivalent. As for artist's brands, I have no idea. They may be just as good.

For what it's worth, MIG Jiménez explains in one of his older videos that he tested many different thinners from his provider, each with slightly different properties, before settling on the one he thought was the best for modelling.

Personally, I've used AK, AMMO and Abteilung (AK's premium line) almost interchangeably for years. I have noticed clear differences in other products, however, like burnishing fluid, but not in the thinners.

Normal odorless White Spirit works well. Another tip, for thinning acrylic lacquers (i.e. Tamiya X and XF or AK Real Colors), just get methylated spirits. Works fine and is cheap.

Latest posts

Back