NYLON GAG MK 1 - FINISHED

Re: NYLON GAG MK 1?

Lots of money, time and attention is spended on this already. Result? This babe needs a scale model addict Oscar! Keep up the good work ;)

eh up gagster sorry for bein absent for awhile,but happy birthday tayta!
still in love with ya work good buddy....i`m just gob smashed how all the detail fits without bein over crouded!
top bombin r kid......cheers for the ride peza

I have never seen this amount of imagination and ingenuity on any project before. I hope the boys over at the magazine does an article on this build. You have some amazing skills. What is your background. Are you in engineering or design?

Hello Every peeps,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments it realy motivates me so much knowing so many talented builders approve of what i'm doing because i'm making this up as i go ;D

lobo734 said:
I have never seen this amount of imagination and ingenuity on any project before. I hope the boys over at the magazine does an article on this build. You have some amazing skills. What is your background. Are you in engineering or design?

You flatter me sir, i'm not sure about the magazine article bit though, lets wait and see what she ends up like because i'm not the best painter in the world, as you are about to see. :p

I'm trained as a tool maker but i now operate and program a 4 axis Haas CNC Milling machine,
I do come from a very artistic family, my Grandfather was a model maker, 1/12th scratch built Fair ground stuff, engines and rides, my uncle Stuart is a model maker, also scratch building 1/12th fair ground stuff and my Dad was a model maker too, 'O' gauge trains and carridges, he made the drawings, brass sheets were then Etched from those drawings and he would bend and form them and finally solder them together.

I only hope i can come close to their standard of work, i will find some pictures and post them one day, jaw dropping stuff.

But, on with the show.
Before i started painting i just wanted to add some do-dads on the upper wing so i cut out some shapes and stuck em on.

Picture%2520223.jpg

Picture%2520225.jpg

I then added some more details to the nose/canopy thingies
The long white piece is made from one of those little table shaped things you get in the middle of big pizzas

Picture%2520227.jpg

I masked and primered the canopy window back seal to be painted at a later date, also i want to dip my canopy in future as well, any suggestions about doing this and not waisting all my future, can i airbrush it?

Picture%2520228.jpg

So, my favourite, NOT , Paint.
I masked up the pilot module

Picture%2520236.jpg

Masked off the back and the detail vents on the top

Picture%2520238.jpg

Then a final coat of primer, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Primer

Picture%2520239.jpg

Picture%2520241.jpg

I then did the cockpit chair and all its details, didn't want to over do it, tell me what you think because i'm not so sure, i messed with it so much and it still doesn't look right to me, i got to a "that will friggin do" point on Friday. I realy don't like painting because it hates me. :mad:

Picture%2520242.jpg

After a very light wash.

Picture%2520252.jpg

Picture%2520251.jpg

Did the same for the rear corridor

Picture%2520258.jpg

Picture%2520259.jpg

I then pre-shaded the main ship, it took quite a while but i was pleased with the results, i mean, you can't real mess up pre-shading..........or can you?

Picture%2520260.jpg

Picture%2520261.jpg

I had to take a rest half way through to let my compressor cool down a bit but i think it turned out ok.

Picture%2520266.jpg

Picture%2520267.jpg

Picture%2520269.jpg

Picture%2520271.jpg

Picture%2520268.jpg

Picture%2520264.jpg

And thats where i'm at now.
I need to get better ventilation before i continue and a better mask, cuz in the end it was pretty bad in the cave and the misses said i stunk up the whole house, it was acrylic, but i have a plan.

Stay tuned folks, more soon.

Take care

Gag

eh up buddy,lookin sweet mym8!cant wait to see the colour ya goin for.and the cockpit/tunnel look mint!
top draw gagster.....cheers peza

Pre-shading looks good.

And you should be able to spray the future on the canopy. May take a couple of coats to make it completely flawless, though

Nice update! As for future just try to spray it, if it fails, then a bath in 91% alcohol will do the trick of removing it.

Great work again Gag!
I agree with Quarlane and Grendels; future can be air sprayed or even hand brushed. I personally find it to be time consuming and sometime very frustrating because of the layering process required. But yep, a bath in 90% isopropyl alcohol or windex (dollar store brand will work too as long as there is ammonia in it) and you're back to bare plastic.
I personally prefer the dunking technique. Usually I dip it into future, making sure I get some all around, remove it, place it on a piece of paper towel and cover it under a plate or whatever I have around to make sure it dries free from dust. As for waste well, I just transfer the excess back in the bottle, so its really not that bad.
You probably know this but the other cool thing is you can tint the canopy by adding transparent paint (expensive) or food coloring (yeah cheap cheap cheap!) to the future.
Here's a great link on the use of future in modeling:
http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Cheers !

I sense that the end is near. Can't wait to see what's next.

Terry ;D

Hello Mates

Thanks for the support and the info on the future, i think i will roll the canopy through a shallow bath type deal, but thats later right now is this.....a quick update......Pix

Spray booth up grade, went from this....

Picture%2520233.jpg

To this.....

Picture%2520273.jpg

Took me an evening and $65, 20" fan ($16.88) and various fittings and lots of gaff tape, it works ok, well, the misses hasen't complained about a stinky house so far. ;D

On with the show

Brought some Tamiya spray cans, Silver leaf and a few other colours that I'm gunna keep you guessing over?
Layed down, well used the whole can on this thing, a fine mist over the whole thing to create my 'base' colour/material effect.

Picture%2520276.jpg

Picture%2520283.jpg

Picture%2520278.jpg

Picture%2520285.jpg

Masked the Radar for more base colour, top tip, ziplock bags are good for masking stuff.

Picture%2520287.jpg

I then AB'ed the top box on the cockpit module flat black and gave it a dry brush with siver.

Picture%2520289.jpg

The radar was futured, hair srayed and salted then given a coat of the light grey, the salt was then removed with a stiff brush and tooth picks ready for a wash or two and some other weathering.

Picture%2520291.jpg

I then started to salt the underside, but I ran out of hairspray.

Picture%2520292.jpg

Picture%2520293.jpg

Picture%2520295.jpg

Thats it so far, off work tomorrow, got a full day of painting ahead, can't wait.

Stay tuned

Thanks mates and congratulations to all BSC winners.

Gagsterman

Latest posts

Back