nx windows

kremin

Hello Everybody. Im new to this forum but would like to ask a question from people who most definatly know much more about modelling than me. I havnt built models since i was a kid, and have just decided to start again. I have bought several models and one of them is a nx-01 enterprise 1/1000 with the engineering hull upgrade.
Im going to light it but dont know what size drill bit i would need for the windows. Hope im not bothering you guys with a noob question.

Hi Kremin
I built one of these lighted three or four years ago and ran across the same question myself! You'll need a nifty tool called a pin vise.These handheld drills are a small cylindrical case with about 7-10 tiny drill bits.You can get them in a few brands in your hobby store or online. My favorite is made by X-acto.To use the tool, just select the bit that suits you and drill all of your windows by hand.The bits could be used with a moto tool but the high speed will be too fast and melt the plastic! :-[ I've included a couple of photos of a 1/1000 NX-1 mentioned earlier .Enjoy the build! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for the advice Mr Atoz. Sounds like a good plan. do you remember the size of the drill bit you used, Want to be as "in scale" as i can. Maybe im being a bit nit picking, perhaps at this scale any size small bit will do.

i recommend getting a pin vise that has a palm swivel, other wise youre going to blister your fingers! there are also spiral pin vises that drill as you pull down on a slide mechanism. as for a gauge on the bit, something between 65-70 (larger #s = smaller gauge) would be good for the windows and even smaller for the nav lights (if you do them, too). that size hole should be perfect for .75mm or .5mm fiber optics, if you light the windows that way. but get a full set and compare the butt of the bits to the windows openings on the kit and you should be able to determine the best size for the kit.

Thanks for the suggestion, nicholassagan will do. Im a lucky man, my wife is a jeweller so i get to use some of her tools sometimes. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back