Not for the faint of heart: 1961 Ford F-150 WIP

chrmar

I guess its always a bit sacriligeous when someone cuts into an old, out-of-production kit, but sometimes it just needs to be done. I rationalize this to myself by the fact that the bed on this AMT F-100 unibody was hacked into long before I got it. The wheel wells were completely altered and were beyond my skills to return to stock. Also, there were no taillights with this when I bought it and the buckets were really mangled. I've had this kit for a few years now in various stages of completion and I finally decided that the only way I was going to end up buildinb it was to separate the cab from the body. So, with that out of the way, I present this WIP of a 1961 F-100 flareside. :)

My most recent incarnation looked like this:

20111226_210946.jpg

I chopped off the bed and filleted the cab corners. The frame is from a 96 F-150 and a 56 F-100 donated its bed. Wheels are mock up only for now.

20111227_025155.jpg

20111227_025235.jpg

The pieces are currently soaking in the purple bath to strip the paint so I can start smoothing out the body work.

Interesting build ! looking forward to how it works out :)

Chris.

Carry on Sir!! Can't go wrong bringing in some old stuff and cutting!!!! Count me in!! ;)

Sorry I haven't updated yet, still waiting on some substantial progress. The cab is taking a while to get the corners built up properly (tedious body work). The paint on the bed isn't stripping well for whatever reason; I think I'm going to switch it over to brake fluid and see how that goes.

When examining the bare plastic cab, I noticed that the header panel above the grille has the FORD engraving on it as would be accurate for 62-64; the grille itself is definitely a 61 (has the 1961 license plate). I've kinda been wanting to go with a chrome grille for this truck and now I"m not sure if I should stick with a 61 and shave the header panel, or maybe go with a 62-64. The 62 would be my personal favourite, but I prefer the 63+ hood/fender emblems. I suppose in the end the truck won't be accurate anyways as the TIB suspension didn't debut until 65.

Maybe I'm just following current trends in the 1:1 custom truck scene but I really like the 60's pickups more than any others. I still like the 67-72 Fords and Chevs but the 61-66 Ford and 60-66 Chevs are personal favourites at the moment. Might have something to do with knowing where there is a 65-66 Ford and a 64-66 Chev sitting in yards... :)

Latest posts

Back