Not another Red 5!!!

Little Cutie

Here are photos of a Red 5 I bought a while ago.

PictureorVideo1203.jpg

Since this is finished im moving it to the completed section.

Did you buy it complete or build it?

Sorry! I didn't know that this was in the work in progress catagory. Either way....I bought this as a kit last year on ebay. I built and painted it,but I need to do a repaint in some areas. It looks too dark in places,as I had paint on my hands and I didn't think about it smudging more than it's supposed to have on the original ILM model. I've since repainted the engine intakes for accuracy on both the top,and bottom. The gray panel on the starboard side of the fuselage is wrong,as well as a few others I've seen on other forums. This is actually longer than what I painted it. I guess that these other people followed my mistake? I followed ICONS paint colour for the yellow stripe down the middle of the fuselage,but it's too dark for sure! :mad: I didn't have the greatest of references then. Someone hacked my ebay account and I changed my password several times,as there have been several attempts to sell using my ebay user ID by other unscrupulous people. :'( I was going to sell this after I built it,but ebay hackers have ruined all that now! :mad:

I hand made all the greeblies you see on the fuselage,and made new decals for the R2 unit because,the mold lines were horrible! This has a radar eye in the dome made from part of the clear sprue,with a larger piece(also made from gray sprue)around the eye for a more authentic look. This has a battery compartment(made by me)under the hyperdrive motivator. This takes two watch batteries 1.4 V to power it. I also changed the incorrect molding on the inside of the laser canons,and made new torpedo tubes out of brass tubing. I attempted to make all new correct detailing,but as I said before - I didn't have better reference photos than the three that have been floating around the internet. This is an MPC kit. the The lighting I was using was very poor. It looks better during daylight. I have more pictures,but I think these will do for now.

Hi,
Nice build I think the paint job looks great, like the red 5 has been on an extended mission ;)
The base looks cool 8)
Joolz

Thanks,Joolz! I'm glad that someone likes the base on this other that me. I wanted something elegant,and simple instead of the usual ICONS deathstar tile that everyone has. This is made from HDMW plastic normally reserved for snowmobile skis,semi,and train brake parts. I got this from my friend that worked at the now defunct POLY-HI SOLIDUR corporation. This was from a sheet of miscut material that was for a customer that had been thrown in the trash bin before my friend saved it from certain death! I routed this out for a semi-circular shape,and decorated it with sheet styrene,and sprue. I have better pics of this in the unfinished stages,but I'll post them in the work in progress catagory. I'll edit my first post to include more photos of this X-wing,and the base. I can't resize these,as photobucket posts them in their original size format.

ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
Hey...

Did you enter one of those JJ Abrams time portals to show us this?

11/01/09..I wonder what I'll be doing on that day.
Sorry,I entered this into the camera as military time = day,month,and year,as opposed to the civilian month,day,and year. It says that the time is set to normal,but it shows up as military instead. This resets itself everytime the batteries die,and need changed. I need to figure out how to fix this so that the date will show up right.

Excellent work, that is one dirty machine. The base looks a little clean, perhaps dirty it to the same degree as the Red 5 and it will look better.

Little Cutie said:
ScreamingSamuraiStudio said:
Hey...

Did you enter one of those JJ Abrams time portals to show us this?

11/01/09..I wonder what I'll be doing on that day.
Sorry,I entered this into the camera as military time = day,month,and year,as opposed to the civilian month,day,and year. It says that the time is set to normal,but it shows up as military instead. This resets itself everytime the batteries die,and need changed. I need to figure out how to fix this so that the date will show up right.

Haha! Here in Australia, this is the normal way to write the date.

Sorry people - it seems that someone has stolen these photos and posted them on anther site claiming it to be their build. I had to pull them because of this. I'll repost them as soon as this is resolved. Thanks for your patience.

Latest posts

Back