NEW HERE NEED JUST A BIT MORE HELP

upsetluchadore

i need a bit more help picking my first model. i have it narrowed down to 2 different models the 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II by Tamiya and the 1/48 B-17G Flying Fortress by Revell-Monogram. I have a few questions. will i be able to build the A-10 with out many issues? I have built a few skill lv 2 cars in my teens with out any issues. as for the flying fortress the site id like to but it on dosnt list the paint needed. I have herd tamiya paint is good and id like to use that but im open to any paint that i can clean with water.. any help would be great this is the first model that i will be taking seriously and want it to be fun and turn out good

Hey man,

I would recomend going with the Tamiya A-10 kit as the fit of the parts will be a little better than the B-17. They both build up into very nice models but the B-17 takes a bit more work to get done.

In terms of paint, I hate to answer your question with a question. But, are you planning on brush painting or do you have an airbrush?
If your going to use an airbrush I would say Tamiya paints are fine. But if your planning on brush painting Tamiya is not going to be your first choice. Long story short, it is alcohol based and getting good results brush painting can be done but it is more challenging for most.

If your going to brush paint, I would suggest getting ahold of some Vallejo paint. The nice thing is that they are a little easier to work with and getting good results isn't as difficult as Tamiya. Also, you can clean with water or you can actually use Windex or any generic window cleaner to clean the airbrush parts etc.

Hopefully this info helps.

I am going to brush paint it because i dont have a airbrush yet. I would love to try the paints u recamend but how do i know what colors to use? on the model it just says what tamiya paint to use not anything for other companys. Thanks again for the help this forum is so great at making new people feel welcome and very very helpfull ;D

I also noticed the paints u told me to try come in a bottle with a dropeer like top. do these need to be mixed or do i need to just put then in a small cup and use them straight? thanks again

Hey man,

I'm glad we can help!

In terms of the colors, the kit instructions will have a key in the begging that deciphers what Tamiya code equals what color. I.E. XF-61 = Dark Green. Once you know what colors the plan needs you can do a quick search to find out the corresponding vallejo paints.

With Vallejo you can paint directly from the bottle or thin them a bit with water or window cleaner. A good way to tell if you have a good paint consistency is to paint a plastic spoon. That way you don't end up with bad reaults on your plane.

Also, buy yourself a can of spray primer (Tamiya white or grey fine primer is a good choice) and prime the parts, especially the fuselage before brush painting. It will give your paints something bite into other than the bare plastic.

Also give your parts a quick wash to get the mold release off of the parts.

Welcome to the herd!

I'll offer this tip, too. I'd avoid brush-painting, at least for the broad areas of color, like wing and fuselage surfaces. I recommend using spray cans--we also call them rattle cans--and use those large surfaces. I would only brush details by hand. It's good experience, you may also try your hand at masking, and the techniques you would learn are similar to those used in airbrushing.

It can be tricky when brushing by hand to eliminate brush marks.

This may be a dumb question but i was looking at the spray cans and they look like they are Polycarbonate paint. but the paint used with a brush im looking at is Acrylic. It it ok to use these 2 different paints on one model or will it look odd.. thanks again for all the help. this project is very exciting

There are ways to use different types of paints together to get different effects for weathering etc. I.E. Enamel washes over an acrylic base. But I as you're just getting started in the hobby I would suggest sticking to one manufacturer and one type of paint.

Not really, there are hybrids like acrylic/lacquer, or acrylic/enamel, which are basically an enamel or lacquer paint with an acrylic carrier, which makes it easy to clean up when wet, but otherwise is still an enamel or lacquer paint at heart.

Use a good quality paint like Vallejo, and you should have no problems brush painting it, but for larger areas it will be easier/faster if you use a spray can, or save your pennies and buy an airbrush.

You will never go back if you get an airbrush, Tamiya paint is pretty fool proof for an AB. Spray cans are ok but you have no control over the amount of coverage, so you lose any subtle effects and you can't mix colours etc, but ok if you are on a budget. An airbrush can be quite an investment in dollars but IMO invaluable if you want to pursue this hobby.

If you want to brush paint Vallejo is the way to go, but like Scott said it absolutely needs to be primed beforehand.

Go the Tamiya kit, it will be much less painless than the Revell.

Thats my 2 cents worth, Hope that helps dude, can't wait to see your build ;D

the b17 is a great model to do, just make shure that you do nott let the sheer size overcome you,i painted the fortress with a brush, but if you have a ab then use it

you guys are awsome. thanks for the help. The only place i can find the paint is ebay are there any other places to get the VALLEJO paints?

citadel acylics that wargamers use brushpaint just as well as vallejo and may be easier to find in your area. They can be mixed with vallejo too.

Latest posts

Back