New Canon review

Dagger6actual

Several years ago (20) I worked a second job as a professional photographer. I did weddings and executive portraits. That was the age of film. Now everything is digital and I'm back into scale modeling as a serious hobby.

I began to look for a camera that could do macro, stills and video. Many of you at SMA gave me suggestions and I did some research. There are lots of good cameras out there but I think I found a winner...for under $200.

The Canon Powershot SX 160IS is a 16MP, HD camera with 16X optical zoom. It has image stabilization, a 5 to 80mm lens and is so intuitive that even an old dog like me figured it out pretty quick.

It does stunning 720P HD video...Here is a short-short little video I did at 4am, hand held, with only one overhead room light. The audio is background from my sons iPod in an adjacent room.
http://youtu.be/swo2Kf7exEc

This little camera does such a good job at closeups that some pics I don't want anyone to see because my goofs are accentuated in HD!!

The audio is good without an external mic. I have a couple vids with the camera on a tripod a couple feet behind my shoulder and with me facing away you can hear crystal clear.

You can check out some still shots in the Aircraft Forum on my A-1J Skyraider build.

I bought it at Best Buy for $149. They had a special on and a bundle including an 8GB SD card, carrying case and tripod added $47. There are plenty of reviews on Youtube and elsewhere.

This camera is everything I hoped for and more. Small, easy to use, priced right and great images. If you're looking for a camera at least give this one a look!

Grrr.... Where was this post before I bought my Zi8 :-X . Looks like the powershot would have done a bang up job for me at both video and macro shots. Which is why i went with the Zi8, oh well...

Cannon Cameras are Fantastic and there HD is outstanding

Latest posts

Back