Need some advice

Ha Ha !! , that's not me .
I stole that off the internet years ago . -- he's my kind of people .
I'm ex-Navy . USS Theodore Roosevelt .

I grew up building stick-frame balsa airplanes since that's what dad built . Plastic kits too .
A lot of the big , rubber band powered ones !

We're all here to help so definitely ask for input when it's needed .

As far a glue , Use the thin liquid cement that is placed via capillary action .
just hold the 2 parts together and touch the brush to the joint and the solvent will flow into the joint .
Once you have one bottle of the stuff which has the handy application brush in the cap ...

( recommend Tamiya Extra Thin ---> https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...t=2&u=0&pg=2&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&e=0 )

... You can refill it with Klean Strip's " MEK substitute " that they sell at Home Depot and other hardware stores .
It's ethyl acetate and works great at a fraction of the unit cost .
It's the less toxic replacement for butanol ( MEK ) , which is hard to find now outside of specialty vendors .

That Tamiya cement is butyl acetate and acetone , 50/50 , and their fast setting formula is butyl acetate / acetone / butanol ,
in equal thirds .
You can buy butyl acetate in bulk too but it's more expensive and you won't find it at Home depot or a paint supply .
The ethyl acetate has a faster evaporation rate ( why they use it in their fast set formula ) but unless you're doing large glue-ups that require extended manipulation of the parts during glue-up it won't make any difference .
They both create solid welds .

Well , I think a 300 dollar budget should cover it ! Ha ha .

What scale are you looking at ?
Where are you located so we can recommend where to buy ?
Ordered a kit should be here Monday or Tuesday of course the glue won’t be here till Wednesday. Will give me some time to look over the kit and plans. It’s a lot of pieces hope I didn’t take on move than I was ready for. I’m in no rush so I’m sure I will get it done. Biggest concern is painting one getting it to look real that seems like the hard part. Looking forward to this. Anyway just wanted to thank you for your help. Hope things are going well in Texas and it’s not as hot as Florida. Stay well, thanks again.
Steven
Thanks , it should be no problem to do the conversation on a 1/200. I’m just not sure about doing it on a 1/350. Space is not what am worried about it’s displacement. The electronics are so small now but to get any decent run time I’m concerned about the batteries. It can become unstable. Planes no problem I have converted over planes with 22’ wings. That stuff I know I haven’t built a plastic kit since I was 8 or 9.And never a scale project. The kits are absolutely amazing I am really looking forward to this. The kit you suggested is assume and as I text I realize I probably have 3 or 4 balsa boats in my storage unit so if I want an RC boat I can build one. I’m going to go with a 350. I’m still probably looking at 900 to a 1000 parts so why push it. Plus like most scale builders plastic balsa what ever I have ocd about making scale look like the real deal. That said I will probably be reaching out during the process if that is okay. I’m sure you are like me and will say no problem. I actually use to hold building clinics at my house every other Tuesday to teach people how to build balsa kits for RC. 2 or 3 guys a few hours every two weeks. It was fun modeling is a lots art in the USA. I lived in Spain for a few years there building is like it was when I was a kid. Both RC and static there are hobbies shops all over the place. I had a choice of a few with in 20 minutes. Here nothing in 100 miles I did a search. My biggest concern is going to be weathering I have no clue. No way I can not weather my kit they just look real! Some rust maybe a little combat damage. I’m in trouble already and I don’t even have a kit yet. Thanks again. I am the kind of guy that never has a problem helping other build but to ask for help not as easy. The very fire kits look gr and they only do 1/350 and 1/700 and I want to stay with that so RC can stay balsa. I will let you know when the kit gets here. I’m hopeless any preference on type and brand for glues , paint, and weathering since I’m going to order everything together. Not like there is a local shop I need an excuse to drive to.
Thanks again,
Steve

Cool Beans !
Yeah , I would definitely study the instructions in detail before I started a kit of that magnitude .
I'm sure you'll be fine .

We're actually having some decent weather here for a couple of days due to lower than normal humidity , around 55%
I'm shocked we have had no hurricanes yet ,, , ominous .

PS not sure if I said thanks for the advice on glue and stuff. I was dealing with getting ready for surgery. Home and feeling better. Started building with my dad also when I was about 8. My ceiling was covered in planes. Started with plastic moved on to balsa free flight and cable line back then. RC came out 1 channel the radio was size of a type writer cost way to much for us to buy. Back to plastic the kits are amazing just wish there was a company in the USA making them. You must have seen a lot of the world while you were in the navy. In my job I worked with a lot of vets not an easy life. I always did my best to help never felt like it was close to enough. Some guys just get a look about them you can tell he’ll and back. I’m actually thinking after I get my body fixed seeing if I can volunteer at the VA. Im sure I can do some good so we will see. It’s something I have been wanting to do for a long time thinking now is the time. I haven’t worked in around 14 years got sick. Things are better still don’t think I could do it full time but I think I can volunteer take a few cases help out. Be good for me to I real miss what I did. Take it easy.
Steven

Cool Beans !
Yeah , I would definitely study the instructions in detail before I started a kit of that magnitude .
I'm sure you'll be fine .

We're actually having some decent weather here for a couple of days due to lower than normal humidity , around 55%
I'm shocked we have had no hurricanes yet ,, , ominous .
Same about the hurricanes been years not that the insurance on my place has gone down. Hot as hell last week 100 with the heat index or more every day. You can’t walk across the parking lot to get to the car. It’s to hot. Anyway need to take something for my knee and that knocks me out. Have a good night. Sure I will be texting soon and thanks again. I know that you are on line to help but that doesn’t mean I don’t have to say thanks It a peeve people don’t say thank you enough.

You're very welcome .
Never hesitate to ask for any input .

Ugh , surgery ? sounds not fun .
Hope you're recovering well .

Control line flying ! People still doing it .
I haven't built an RC kits in 40 years . I still kinda want to do a gas powered RC helicopter .
Of course now you might as well get a drone with a camera , lol , makes more sense

You're very welcome .
Never hesitate to ask for any input .

Ugh , surgery ? sounds not fun .
Hope you're recovering well .

Control line flying ! People still doing it .
I haven't built an RC kits in 40 years . I still kinda want to do a gas powered RC helicopter .
Of course now you might as well get a drone with a camera , lol , makes more sense
I have a few drones. Amazing the new one can be really easy to fly and do amazing thing.

I have a few drones. Amazing the new one can be really easy to fly and do amazing thing.
I had some kind of cyst between the bones in my knee. Not a big deal just very painful when I walk so glad they got it out. Will be about 6 weeks till I’m back to 100% so not really to bad. Been hurt worse. Anyway have a good day it’s going to be an other oven outside today. Almost miss winters.

Not a big deal ?
Ha ! Sounds like a big deal to me . Ouch !

Enjoy that heat ;) - I think we're done with the 100 degree plus stuff . Looks like low 90's max across the 10 day forecast .
Humidity is creeping back up in the mid 60 to 70 % but still better than normal for around here .

Not a big deal ?
Ha ! Sounds like a big deal to me . Ouch !

Enjoy that heat ;) - I think we're done with the 100 degree plus stuff . Looks like low 90's max across the 10 day forecast .
Humidity is creeping back up in the mid 60 to 70 % but still better than normal for around here .
I really don’t like Florida to hot to many strip malls and morons. Plus no one can drive for shit. No clue where else to live so not much to do. At least I own my place and it’s in a decent area. I don’t know if it’s happening where you are but rent is getting so high people that should not be in trouble are. I rented a place two years ago when I moved here for $1150 and then I said it was a rip off it’s now over two grand. How are people on fixed income going to pay that. It’s crazy. Model website sorry just nuts from being stuck in the house. How long would you be on the shit at a time and for your years in service we’re you mostly at see. I’m just asking if you don’t want to talk about it I get it. Most of the guys I worked with were on the ground in combat at some point. A lot when I started from Vietnam. Towards the end started to get guys from the gulf. People have lived through some very bad shit. The rest of us on average have no idea what it takes to keep us free. My self included. Of everyone I knew growing up only one guy served. My brother in law was a combat surgeon in nam. He was one of the guys on the choppers. He was nuts honestly. Great surgeon when he came back but nuts. He was Florida born different way of thinking his dad all was a doctor during Korea. He enlisted when he was already a doctor. Pretty amazing thing to do actually. Anyway you have a great day.

Well , the morons and shitty drivers are everywhere so I don't think you can escape it !

Yeah , rent and home prices are nutz everywhere .
I bought a cool place back in '04 on 2 acres for a great price . The acre price out here has tripled . I'm about 20 miles south of downtown Houston .
I'm retired so rarely go anywhere other than down the backroads to the grocery or Home Depot .
I had a production shop on the north edge of downtown Houston ( a couple of blocks from the St Arnold Brewery ) and drove around that mess for over a quarter century .
No more - eff that !
Just the thought of driving into Houston is vile .

I left active duty right after the Gulf War - Aug 91 , a month after we returned to Norfolk .
52 months attached to that ship . Lots of sea time and quite a bit of shipyard time too .
Being in a war on a carrier against an enemy with no real way to attack you is gravy . Iraq was no threat .
When we were operating in the North Atlantic , we were told we had an expected lifespan of 25 minutes if a war broke out with Russia since we're obviously the primary target and we would be on the receiving end of multiple , nuclear warheaded torpedoes and anti-ship missiles .
Who knows .

I really don’t like Florida to hot to many strip malls and morons. Plus no one can drive for shit. No clue where else to live so not much to do. At least I own my place and it’s in a decent area. I don’t know if it’s happening where you are but rent is getting so high people that should not be in trouble are. I rented a place two years ago when I moved here for $1150 and then I said it was a rip off it’s now over two grand. How are people on fixed income going to pay that. It’s crazy. Model website sorry just nuts from being stuck in the house. How long would you be on the shit at a time and for your years in service we’re you mostly at see. I’m just asking if you don’t want to talk about it I get it. Most of the guys I worked with were on the ground in combat at some point. A lot when I started from Vietnam. Towards the end started to get guys from the gulf. People have lived through some very bad shit. The rest of us on average have no idea what it takes to keep us free. My self included. Of everyone I knew growing up only one guy served. My brother in law was a combat surgeon in nam. He was one of the guys on the choppers. He was nuts honestly. Great surgeon when he came back but nuts. He was Florida born different way of thinking his dad all was a doctor during Korea. He enlisted when he was already a doctor. Pretty amazing thing to do actually. Anyway you have a great day.
Well , the morons and shitty drivers are everywhere so I don't think you can escape it !

Yeah , rent and home prices are nutz everywhere .
I bought a cool place back in '04 on 2 acres for a great price . The acre price out here has tripled . I'm about 20 miles south of downtown Houston .
I'm retired so rarely go anywhere other than down the backroads to the grocery or Home Depot .
I had a production shop on the north edge of downtown Houston ( a couple of blocks from the St Arnold Brewery ) and drove around that mess for over a quarter century .
No more - eff that !
Just the thought of driving into Houston is vile .

I left active duty right after the Gulf War - Aug 91 , a month after we returned to Norfolk .
52 months attached to that ship . Lots of sea time and quite a bit of shipyard time too .
Being in a war on a carrier against an enemy with no real way to attack you is gravy . Iraq was no threat .
When we were operating in the North Atlantic , we were told we had an expected lifespan of 25 minutes if a war broke out with Russia since we're obviously the primary target and we would be on the receiving end of multiple , nuclear warheaded torpedoes and anti-ship missiles .
Who knows .
I think I read somewhere if the shit really hit the fan NY is gone in a few minutes so if that ever happened everyone is gone. The shit that is going on now is nuts. Putin is absolutely off the hook. I always thought North Korea was the big risk because they don’t really answer to anyone else. China a little control and as much as they make noise they can’t really afford to attack the USA. They have more US dollars then we do so they need us around. Russia is losing face in the world don’t know what the nut will do. It’s amazing the corruption was so out of control in Russia that almost half there stuff don’t work. Tires that blow out to missiles that don’t fire or go anywhere but the target. Corruption is bad in the USA but we make believe someone is watching so we may pay double what we should but most of it actually works. I read an article yes about carriers. Only like 7 in the USA fleet but Russia and China only 1 and 3. Same article said we have 100sof ships that are 35 years or older. That can’t be good. The carrier the backbone of American power. We can go anywhere any nothing is more powerful between the planes and the battle group. Only a nuke can do more but that can actually be a problem when dealing with extremists. So this site is about building models and kicking back. Think it’s me been stuck in the house like two years getting bones replaced read to much news making me crazy .

Ha ha , yeah , take a break from the news . It's bad for your health .

BTW , we have 11 supercarriers . It's actually against a federal law to have fewer . Seriously .

Ha ha , yeah , take a break from the news . It's bad for your health .

BTW , we have 11 supercarriers . It's actually against a federal law to have fewer . Seriously .
I didn’t think the article made any sense that is kind of why I asked. Just reading the news I could remember more that the article said but I do think China only has1 at least modern one and it’s at sea but not finished. No clue about Russia. T

China has 2 old-school carriers of Russian design in service and is completing their new home-grown one currently .
Their economy is in dire condition right now so we'll see how far their naval expansion gets .

Russia basically has zero carriers since the only one they have is garbage and probably won't reenter active service .

Check out my ongoing Carrier thread if you're interested : https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/first-with-the-ford-class-carrier-model.13502/

Latest posts

Back