Need ideas for lit model bases

AKE

So now that I'm lighting models I need a new source for bases. My standard solid wood and frame bases are not going to work for storing wires and a power supply. Ideas? Somewhere I saw someone use a neat looking black acrylic base/box, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Something like that would be perfect.

AKE: This is what I have done. One, raise up the base. Go to one of the big box hobby shops like Micheals, or Hobby Lobby and look in the wood section. They sell small little wooden feet. You can raise up the base with those. Since the base is raised up, if you carve a channel in the bottom of the base, you can then hide the wires and batteries there. I have done this before.

My other trick is to hide the battery box in a small diorama on the base. You can also do a search for project box on ebay. Fry's electronics will sell those too.

You can make a base out of Styrodur/Balsa foam and then finished it around with Balsa wood. Simple, easy and the only limit is your imaginations in shape.
Cheers
Lukasz

Add a false bottom to your current wood base routine. Simple plywood walls with bracing, open in the middle. Paint as you see fit.

Thanks for the tips. I stumbled upon the model and base I was thinking of. He used an acrylic photo frame and sprayed the inside black. I picked up one today. Photo frame saved the day again!

Continue using the bases as is and just change your power supply from batteries to wallwart. This way you can mount a small jack, say 2.1mm or 2.5mm, that is well concealed. Also you can get creative and cut out a small piece of hull along panel lines and mount your jack behind it for plugging it in. When not plugged in just place the panel back into it's place.

After reading this back it sounds like a lot of work...probably is.

Latest posts

Back