Need Help with Pin Holes on Landing Gear Bay Door

airmodeler209

Hi Everyone

I am new to forums and was wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to fill pin hole on landing gear bay doors. I am in building Revells 1/48th scale Hornet. A lot of nice detail and don't really want to damage any of it.

Originally I am a armor modeller, but my real passion is for aircraft. Tried aircraft in the past but got frustrated because I could not fill a seam line to save my life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Ken

Hi Ken

There's a few ways to deal with that. I'm an aircraft modeler too and that really bugs me how they leave those ejector pin marks on some kits. I just checked the kit I have in the stash and I am lucky that the pin marks are outies instead of innies, Ill be able to shave them off fairly easily with my X-Acto chisels. An easy way yo fill them is with either with some off the shelf modeling putty like Testors, Squadron or Tamiya. Apply them sparingly and keep in mind the stuff shrinks as it dries, so I apply a few thinner applications instead of one heavy layer. You can smooth these out with acetone nail polish remover, then once dry, sand them carefully with a good set of sanding sticks. I have also used LePages interior plastic wood filler. That stuff is water based so cleanup is really easy and you can smooth it out with a wet fingertip. Best thing about this stuff is a small tub of Lepages is cheaper than a tube of modelling putty and as long as you seal up the container completely, it should last a whole lot longer. You can use either wood fputty or modeling putty to fill seams as well. I line either side of the seam or gap with masking tape set maybe 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch away, then fill the seam and smootgh it out while its still fresh. The tape helpskeep the putty away from where you dont want it. Once it starts to dry to the touch, remove the tape and let it dry completely, then sand the filler away with fine grade sanding film or sand paper.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Carsenault, I'll give putty a try. Appreciate the advise.

schweinhund227 I tried to take a picture of the bay doors, but they all came out blurred. I think it is time for a new camera.

Ken

My preference is Vallejo putty. After years of experimenting, I have found this to be the best.
Dries quick, it's non toxic, it cleans up (and thins) with water, and it really doesn't shrink any. It also has the best applicator tip on the market I think.
I've gone back and looked at old models where I've used it and found no cracking, shrinking, or gapping.

Give the holes a quick sand before you put any putty in so it has something to grip too vs. the smooth plastic.

On REALLY bad ones, I take out my dremel and a fine (ball) diamond tip and just grind them down all around the edges and then fill them with putty. It just cuts down on manual sanding time.

Just remember Tamiya Putty dries fast... and sinks in time.

or you can use Miliput putty... for larger seams or gaps, it can also be sculpt.

just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back