My Grail Model

I would like to know if you guys have a personal grail model / if so, what is it? / and why has it proved so elusive to find?

No grail kit for me .
Looking forward to more of that car . That thing looks wild .
I've seen only little bits of that movie .

No grail kit for me .
Looking forward to more of that car . That thing looks wild .
I've seen only little bits of that movie .
I just got shipping confirmation about 3 hours ago :)
I going to it in the goth tech style I developed for my “Dark....” series

The whole body in my custom 1/24 scale hydro dip black carbon fiber/high chrome or high gold (real 22 carat) trim / complete interior-exterior led lighting / red leather interior / digitized lit instrument dashboard /

then......

I am going to CUSTOMIZE that sucker!

I am going to do this in conjunction with Dark Sea and Dark Road because I am going to use the same 1/24th scale hydrodip film I made on all three. I have NO problem with pics in progress if it doesn't bother people or make them think I am trying to hog it out

BTW I picked up 5 of these for $4.00 each - they are COOL for taking WIP pics

5cde7c3ad.jpg

if someone would like to check them out, here is the link I got them from

https://www.wish.com/product/5cde7c3ad1b5ef271db3d1cd?share=web

You're going to customize the most customized car...can't wait to see some pics !

I have to - I HATE those friggin elephants on the front (my apologies Lord Ganesha) so what I have always wanted to take a look is doing a smoothed stealth version. But I need the car physically in my hand before I can really start sketching out a concept

my grail kits:

zergs by yan chuan studio:

94329629_550596595838146_1385111122388329978_n.jpg

XVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.jpg

The resin kits that Chinese artist Yuanxing Liang releases are my grail kits. They're not expensive for high end resin garage kits. But they're crazy limited runs (hundred copies or less), they don't sell out quickly (but always go on sale when I'm broke), but the second hand resale market is crazy huge. Pre-sales are roughly 300-500usd, and the resale market - before stuff even ships - immediately starts in the thousands of dollars.

zj-p-f5812915f123d93ca893fcd4e84de6e5.jpg
yuanxing-liang-fantastical-sculpture-7.jpg
yuanxing-liang-fantastical-sculpture-27.jpg

Not a kit, but a figure, a Schaumburg(- Bückeburg) Karabinier from the Seven Years War:

The Karabiniere were a bodyguard unit of the Duke of Schaumburg-Bückeburg, who was allied with Frederick the Great. They carried out scouting and other light cavalry duties on the western front in the SYW, in central Germany.

This is a 54mm kit figure made by Grifo Models from Italy; it's long out of production, and I think Grifo is also long out of business. Though there are flats depicting them in various small scales, as far as I know, it's the only 54mm fully-round figure of this subject. I look for this online and at shows. The photos I have are from another figure collector/painter who shared them in another forum.

Grifo also made models of other subjects, including metal models of various sports cars.

The resin kits that Chinese artist Yuanxing Liang releases are my grail kits. They're not expensive for high end resin garage kits. But they're crazy limited runs (hundred copies or less), they don't sell out quickly (but always go on sale when I'm broke), but the second hand resale market is crazy huge. Pre-sales are roughly 300-500usd, and the resale market - before stuff even ships - immediately starts in the thousands of dollars.

zj-p-f5812915f123d93ca893fcd4e84de6e5.jpg
yuanxing-liang-fantastical-sculpture-7.jpg
yuanxing-liang-fantastical-sculpture-27.jpg
Beautiful pieces - that’s a grail Hunt well we’ll worth pursuing

Not a kit, but a figure, a Schaumburg(- Bückeburg) Karabinier from the Seven Years War:

The Karabiniere were a bodyguard unit of the Duke of Schaumburg-Bückeburg, who was allied with Frederick the Great. They carried out scouting and other light cavalry duties on the western front in the SYW, in central Germany.

This is a 54mm kit figure made by Grifo Models from Italy; it's long out of production, and I think Grifo is also long out of business. Though there are flats depicting them in various small scales, as far as I know, it's the only 54mm fully-round figure of this subject. I look for this online and at shows. The photos I have are from another figure collector/painter who shared them in another forum.

Grifo also made models of other subjects, including metal models of various sports cars.
Are you hunting for the actual Grifo piece for your collection? I ask because from what I see it would not be that difficult to sculpt that figure

Wait a minute-you got 5 of these at $4 each? Was that a sale? That sounds like the find of the year!

Ah, Wish.com-is that an auction site, or some other kind of secondary market site?
Asian eBay. I have placed over 30 some orders with no problems - but it takes about 6 weeks to ship and receive an order go to wish and type in “tools” or “hobbies” and check it out. Caution each item listed by multiple sellers xxcheck shipping costs from each. They vary wildly. Ps I love my studios :)

It’s not a kit technically because it doesn’t exist but it would cost hundreds of dollars to build kitbash however...

the war rig from Mad Max Fury Road

It’s not a kit technically because it doesn’t exist but it would cost hundreds of dollars to build kitbash however...

the war rig from Mad Max Fury Road

that is more than buildable but you can also buy it on sale https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/car/suv/mad-max-monster-from-cinema

or download the 3d scale to 3d print https://pinshape.com/items/53278-3d-printed-diecast-model-truck-from-mad-max-fury-road-scale-143

or download the paper model to serve as a blueprint http://www.papercraftsquare.com/mad-max-tatra-t815-war-rig-free-vehicle-paper-model-download.html

here is a general outline of the rig for scratch building https://madmax.fandom.com/wiki/Tatra_T815_"The_War_Rig"

Last edited:
Dang, interesting feedback. I def didn’t think in those terms, was thinking much more like old kitbash. But even then, once I thought about it and did the math, it didn’t seem too bad. One semi and tanker kit, two hot rod kits, then just various odds and ends and whatnot. So roughly ~100 to 200 US dollars when it’s all said and done? Not quite a grail kit. Still, it would be fun I think. Certainly a chance to go crazy with weathering. I know I’m straying off topic, but has anyone ever built the Aoshima interceptor kit ? It’s a bit pricy but not horrible.

Dang, interesting feedback. I def didn’t think in those terms, was thinking much more like old kitbash. But even then, once I thought about it and did the math, it didn’t seem too bad. One semi and tanker kit, two hot rod kits, then just various odds and ends and whatnot. So roughly ~100 to 200 US dollars when it’s all said and done? Not quite a grail kit. Still, it would be fun I think. Certainly a chance to go crazy with weathering. I know I’m straying off topic, but has anyone ever built the Aoshima interceptor kit ? It’s a bit pricy but not horrible.

So roughly ~100 to 200 US dollars when it’s all said and done? I would think around there - you should go for it! :)

Latest posts

Back