My first thread here, Moebius 1/8 scale Iron Man mk VI suit :D

TDA

So here's my first thread here, this is the first miniature in this scale I've ever painted as I usually mostly does 28mm models, namely 40k stuff... Among those a few titans and a lot of vehicles ;D

So on to the big red guy, here's the kit all put together. I must say it is a nice kit, not too many gaps and generally a very sturdy model once assembled.
I decided to modify the neck attachment to enable me to paint the head and then attach it afterwards. The visor is also painted seperately and mounted later. Other then that the only parts not glued in before filling and sanding is the shoulder armour and the hand guards

IM3.jpg
The little guy is a grey knight terminator for scale ref for those of you who deals in that sort of minis.
IM4.jpg
IM5.jpg
IM6.jpg
IM7.jpg

Then the model was undercoated in vallejo grey aerosol primer along with the base.
IM8.jpg

The entire model was then airbrushed in vallejo model color old gold and the helmet was used to test the candy coating technique I planed to use, where tamyia clear red was airbrushed over the gold undercoat.
IM10.jpg
IM25.jpg

Then the model was shaded using citadel badab black wash, which I can't remember what is called in their new paint range. The shading was also applied by airbrush.
IM14.jpg

Then to give the gold a bit more life I mixed a bit of vmc old gold with vmc silver and gave it a subtle highlight.
IM23.jpg
IM21.jpg

Then the shoulder and hand guards were candy coated with the clear red and the legs were masked off and candy coated. The head was also given a bit of shade with the badab black wash, airbrushed on to be even.
IM29.jpg
IM31.jpg
IM33.jpg
IM37.jpg
IM38.jpg
IM39.jpg

The rest of the miniature was then masked off to lay in the rest of the candy coating.
IM41.jpg
IM42.jpg
IM44.jpg
IM46.jpg
IM47.jpg
IM50.jpg

Then the gold lines between the belly armour segments was painted in vmc old gold. I also started to blackline the armour with the badab black wash as it has a nice transparent quality to it.
IM52.jpg
IM53.jpg
IM57.jpg

Here's the back of the model, I used a lot of reference material to make sure I got the gold detail right.
IM60.jpg
IM62.jpg
IM65.jpg

I then masked off the entire model to paint the steel parts, which were airbrushed with vmc natural steel and shaded with badab black wash and afterwards the black detail was blacklined like the rest of the armour.
IMbasiccoloursdone1.jpg
IMbasiccoloursdone2.jpg

IMbasiccoloursdone3.jpg
IMbasiccoloursdone10.jpg

Next up will be the Object Source lighting for the eyes, arc reactor and repulsors which caused me a bit of trouble, the arc reactor at least, but I need to take some better pics of the final arc reactor when I get some daylight again.

Hope it caught some of you guys interest, and feel free to ask questions if you have any, and comments and criticism is also welcome :)

Nice, Nice, Nice! That looks great! Such a better pose than the first release too.

Killer.

Bloody great spray painting. Well done.

Regards

Craig.

i can only reiterate what has already been said about the painting and i get a chance to read this thread in the morning i'll be making notes.... in the mean time, outstanding work there mate.

Thanks guys :D I've almost completed him by now, only need to paint the base and then possibly add some paint chips to his armour.

Here's how the OSL turned out after I repainted it from the first try which went a bit wrong.

IMN2.jpg
IMN5.jpg
closeups5.jpg
closeups1.jpg
closeups2.jpg

More soon hopefully :)

Thanks guys :D

No reflection paints are used, it's vmc sky blue and then vmc white airbrushed on :) The reason for the nice glow is the use of a little flash photography which really makes the white shine ;D

Awesome work on this.
Thanks for the detailed pics on how you worked up the paint scheme

Quaralane said:
Awesome work on this.
Thanks for the detailed pics on how you worked up the paint scheme

Thanks :D Your iron man build was actually what sealed the deal for me and made me buy one myself ;D I am also considering getting agent Romanoff as well and will definitely be buying warmachine when he's released :D

Glad I could feed the inspiration.

After having seen the pic Moebius put up of War Machine, it's definitely on my list, too.
Looking forward to your Romanoff.

Quaralane said:
Glad I could feed the inspiration.

After having seen the pic Moebius put up of War Machine, it's definitely on my list, too.
Looking forward to your Romanoff.

Yeah it looks like warmachine will be awesome :D

Well let's see if my girlfriend lets me buy the black widow model, as she have talked about getting it for herself XD

I am proud to say that I won first play in the competitions open category with 88% of the votes :)

And here's the final pictures.
IMcloseup.jpg
IM7-1.jpgIM6-1.jpg
IM5-1.jpg

IM4-1.jpgIM1-1.jpg

The suit looks amazing you've nailed the colours it would sit on any shelf with pride top marks

Great job !

Fantastic metallic look. Will you try something similar with the DRAGON version of the last Stark Armor ?

Thanks guys, and YOULI I didn't know the model but a quick google search and I found this
iron03.jpg

Which is absolutely awesome! I'll have to get me one of those for sure :D

And then I also have to get the Moebius War Machine when he gets released :p

Latest posts

Back